1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP laptop with HDMI cable on't view with VGA projector

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FredricJLowe, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FredricJLowe

FredricJLowe Thread Starter

Have a new HP Envy laptop upgraded to Windows 10. Tried to use my old VGA HP projector. They said I needed a HDMI cable to connect on the laptop and VGA on the other end. When turning on the projector it says projected the HP logo with a count down and when it got to 0 the logo disappears and I get a blue screen and in the bottom right of the projected blue screen it runs through all different options of searching but nothing happens to project my desktop onto the screen. I was on the phone with HP for over 2 hrs. They updated the NVIDIA drivers but still it does not project. Is there something that can be done to fix this? I am able to use the VGA projector with my older HP DV7 laptop which has a VGA port. But I need to use the new HP Envy laptop.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer on this.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Who are "they" and exactly what kind of cable did they recommend?

A simple cable with two different plugs on it will not work. You need some powered electronics to convert high speed, digital, serial data coming from the laptop's HDMI port into analog video and digital sync signals needed by the VGA input on your projector.

3. FredricJLowe

HP said I needed that cable. I originally bought a USB cable on one end and the VGA adapter which I connected to my VGA cable which I successfully plug into my other HP DV7 laptop on one end and the other VGA end directly into the HP projector. It projected the image but didn't take up the entire desktop. HP had me adjust the resolution. But today after we updated the NVIDIA drivers I wasn't able to even get this to project with the USB on one end and VGA on the other end of the cable.

So the short answer is I need some powered electronics to convert this. Wouldn't I be better off then just buying anew projector with a HDMI port already installed? The VGA projector is 11 years old. I really didn't want to have to invest more money into this solution.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    What is the full model number of the new HP Envy laptop and the full HP part number for the HDMI to VGA cable they told you that you needed?

EDIT: Is this the HDMI to VGA cable recommended by HP?
    http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/business-solutions/hp-hdmi-to-vga-adapter-h4f02ut-aba

If so, it may work for your VGA projector. The HDMI standard supports outputting 50 mA of current at 5 VDC (250 mW) on pin 18.I am guessing that HP figured out a way to power the HDMI to VGA converter, inside the VGA jack housing, with that little bit of power.

Does your new laptop have a display selection function key? If so, you may need to press it one or more times to activate the HDMI output. You may also need to adjust the resolution of the HDMI output to match one that is supported by the projector.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. FredricJLowe

Well, they never recommended the correct cable, but the one you showed me, I think I bought last night on eBay. [​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/171960912618
    HDMI Male to VGA Female Video Converter Adapter Cable f PC DVD HDTV TV 1080P USA

The HP Envy model# is 17t Best Value laptop

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Lapto...=M9X67AV_1&ci_sku=M9X67AV_1&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

mine was with windows 8.1 but I upgraded to Windows 10 64 bit and 5th generation i7.

How will I know if the new HP Envy has a display selection function key?

I did some Googling on this since I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/move-windows-between-multiple-monitors#1TC=windows-7

To change your display settings to extended
    1. Open Screen Resolution by clicking the Start button [​IMG], clicking Control Panel, and then, under Appearance and Personalization, clicking Adjust screen resolution.

2. Click the drop-down list next to Multiple displays, click Extend these displays, and then click OK.
    [​IMG]
    The Multiple displays option appears only when Windows detects more than one monitor connected to your PC.
    Note
    • If you don't see an option named Multiple displays in your display settings, then Windows isn't detecting a second monitor plugged into your desktop computer. Or, it is not detecting an external monitor plugged into your laptop. When Windows detects this monitor, it will appear in the drop-down list next to Display. If you don't see it listed there, try clicking Detect.

• Make sure the monitor you want to extend your desktop to is turned on and plugged into the correct video port on your computer. You might also need to select the correct source labeled on your monitor's controls to ensure the monitor is using the correct video port. For more information, check the manual for your monitor or go to the manufacturer's website.
      To move a window from one display to another
      • Click the title bar of the window, and then drag the window to a new location.

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    17t refers to an HP Envy product series with different features in different versions. The full model number would be along the lines of 17t-3200 CTO. a Product label on the bottom of the laptop should have the full model number

Look for a function key that looks like a rectangle with slightly curved top and bottom and lines parallel to the sides.

Attached Files:

8. FredricJLowe

The Model number is M8W97AV

9. FredricJLowe

I used the new cable with the HDMI to VGA converter. The projector is an HP vp6 100 series from 2005. The resolution is 800 x 600 True SVGA. The laptop still does not recognize the projector when I right cliked on Display settings. I pressed the funtion key that you recommended above and nothing happens. I even went and changed the resolution down from the 1920 X 1080 settings from 800 X 600 but still nothing appears from the projector nor does it show up as being detected on the laptop. Anything else that you can recommend that I do to fix this?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  10. FredricJLowe

The correct model number is HP Envy notebook 17T-N000

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Make sure the HDMI port works with another device like a monitor or TV. If it does I'd say the adapter is the problem.

12. FredricJLowe

I plugged the HDMI cable with the VGA adapter to the HDMI port on my 5 year old HP DV7 4190US laptop running Windows 7 64 bit. and then connected the VGA cable from the adapter to the VGA port on my rear projection tv in PC mode. It works perfectly fine. However, there is no sound coming from the PowerPoint from my other computer which had the VGA port that I use with my PowerPoint. Why would there not be any sound?

Then I hooked up the HDMI cable with the VGA converter from the new HP Envy model 17T laptop to the Sony rear projection tv set to PC and it worked as well but with no sound.

So why doesn't the cable work when connected to the HP projector? It is not even detected on the HP Envy laptop?

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    VGA doesn't carry sound. You need to make sure to use the laptop's speakers as the output device, set in the Control Panel under sounds.

Compatibility issue most likely, not everything works with all devices. The projector may not be sending the appropriate signals/information for the adapter or laptop.

14. FredricJLowe

so if I would hook up this HDMI cable with the VGA adapter to the old HP DV7 4190US running Windows 7 64 bit to the VGA projector and if the projector now works, then would it be possible a Windows 10 issue? (I upgrade the new HP Envy 17T from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 64 bit. I am trying to isolate this.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I doubt it's Windows.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1167289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice