1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP laptop with Vista - should I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by nettyiam, Nov 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nettyiam

nettyiam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Betty
    I have HP laptop with Vista OS...I'm not too knowledgeble to install WIN 10 on this computer.
    It only has been used about 100 hrs. Just want to know if it would be OK to run with it's current OS on line.
    It's security software is BDIS but is no longer supported. Will it be ok to use on line no longer having latest security software or will it make my WIFI & other computer & tablets vulnerable to hacking?
    I hate to just toss it but might be good for some games.

I appreciate your help & time you give to this forum & it helped a lot in the past when I needed help.
    Thank you

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

From a security stand point, not really.

Then to make matters worse...there is no official upgrade path for Vista. This means you will need to buy windows 10. Next, we need to see if your laptop can support windows 10 from a driver stand point. For us to do that we need the make/model of your laptop. My guess would be a NO.

You do have an alternative....you could run a Linux distro on it....like Ubuntu or my favorite, Zorin. Zorin is specially made for older hardware. You can test it by installing Zorin on a USB and use it straight off the USB. This will give you an idea of it's look and feel.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What is the exact model number(M/N) and product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on that HP laptop?

What is the exact Windows version on its Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker?

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. britekguy

britekguy

I would not run any unsupported operating system, Windows or other, in contact with cyberspace. Mind you, the older and more out of date they are the less likely you are to be specifically attacked, as in the life of everything there is a time where it is a "prime target" and after that interest shifts to the next OS likely to yield the biggest payoff to nefarious players.

That being said, why do it at all? There are scads of Linux distributions (distros) that can and will run on Vista era hardware. Linux Mint is a particularly good one for those who are accustomed to Windows.

If this machine is to be part of a network, then remember that overall security is only as strong as the weakest link in the chain. Windows Vista is a very weak link indeed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice