1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP laptop won't boot past blue Windows screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by niftee01, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. niftee01

niftee01 Thread Starter

I have an hp pavillion ze5185 laptop and when I turned it on yesterday, it started booting up and just paused at that blue Windows XP screen (just before Windows plays it's dandy startup music). It wasn't frozen - I could move the mouse arrow around and everything - but no keyboard keys would register, not even my favorite Ctrl-Alt-Del. Left it for hours and it still didn't get past that screen. Turned off and on multiple times, tried loading default setup values, starting in safe mode, and it still wouldn't get past that screen.

This may be connected to the problem, who knows: recently a blue screen of death has been popping up whenever I was using the laptop and then the computer would restart itself. The blue screen said something like, "It's ok if this screen pops up once but if it happens more often then do something about it." My brother said it was an overheating problem.

When I try to open the DVD drive at this blue screen, it'll open for me! Wonder if that makes a difference...

I can enter PhoenixBIOS if I press F2 before it gets to that stupid Windows screen. Let me know if you helpful computer geniuses need any more information! Please help!

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Try going into safe mode (f8) and if you get there got to a restore point

or instead of safe mode, boot to last known good config (also at F8)

3. niftee01

niftee01 Thread Starter

Hitting F8 when it was booting up did nothing...although my more-computer-inclined roommate said he already ran it in safe mode and it stopped booting at the same blue Windows screen.

But I did try hitting other F# keys when it was booting up, I think F10 got me to e-diagtools and I ran the tests (Tests passed. No errors found.) Don't know what it did but I'll add more info that it showed about my computer:

Platform: HP Pavillion ze4000
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium( @2400 MHz
    System Memory: 512 MB
    IDE PRIMARY-MASTER : HDD, 55.9 GB, HITACHI_DK23EA-60
    IDE SECONDARY-MASTER: CD-ROM, QSI CD-RW/DVD-ROM SBW-241

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Boot from the XP CD and try a repair

5. enyarick

enyarick

Hi Niftee. I wanted to know if you were able to get a solution to the problem because i have the exact same issue with my laptop. Much obliged.

6. niftee01

niftee01 Thread Starter

hey enyarick. even with my computer geek friends helping me, i found no solution and ended up having to reinstall windows. lost all the info saved on my drive. good luck!

7. southernlady

southernlady

My daughter's laptop did that, it's a glitch in the HP laptops...and if you will hold on, I will find the thread on the hp web site that discussed that issue. Liz

8. niftee01

niftee01 Thread Starter

wow, great. it would be good to know for the future at least. thanks!

9. southernlady

southernlady

It's like it won't come back out of standby mode? Is that it? Cause that's what hers was doing and here is the solution: http://tinyurl.com/6d258 Liz

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273947