1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Laser Jet 3015 Always Feeds Multiple Sheets Through Top Tray

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jack1000, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

This will take some explaining,

An All in One HP Laser Jet 3015 was donated to me. It is about five years old. The bottom tray with the paper works fine. The top tray for Faxing, Scanning, or Copying documents 95% of the time always pulls multiple sheets through. On line, I purchased a Paper Separator that was supposed to stop the multiple page printing problem. What I did not know at the time, was that the paper separator replacement is for the bottom tray only. All of the documentation for the HP printer with regards to the top tray for Copying, Faxing, or Scanning only suggests that you can clean the top paper seperator with Windex, a small amout of water, or a mild non-abrasive cleaner with a lint-free cloth or paper towel. We did that. Is there a way to replace that top paper separator?

Every once in a blue moon, the printer will feed from the top tray correctly. In fact, shortly after cleaning the top paper separator, it pulled only one page through the feeder about three or four times. Today, back to the multiple pulls of the paper from the top tray. New cartridges, Windex cleaning, and the ordered paper separator have not fixed the multiple paper pull from the top tray. HP also has a scanner assembly kit for $36, which claims to stop multiple pages going through when scanning. Is there any way to replace that top tray paper separator, or should I just be content with having to copy, FAX, or scan documents one page at a time? I have already put $20 into getting the paper separator for the bottom tray, (which rarely had an issue.) I am not too interested in putting more money into a six year old product who's part may or may not work.

I previously had an HP Laser Jet 6L that still work and had it for 12 years! When it started feeding multiple pages through after about five years, HP came out with a little cardboard overlay that you could put inside the product and it solved the issue years ago. Do they make anything like this for the HP LaserJet 3015? I suspect the sensors are worn out on the top tray.

Jack

2. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

I sort of have a work around after studying this in greater detail.

Maybe this will help others with top tray muli-feeds in the same or similar situations. What I do is put the paper in really gently, like "Light as a Feather" without pushing it all the way down into the tray. Than, I check the side of the printer to see that there is a bit of space between the black pieces of paper in the top feeder tray. It seems with that very light feeding into the printer and having that little bit of space between pages, the sensor seems to work better feeding the pages through one at a time as it should. If the pages are seeming bonded together where they look like one sheet, the printer will treat as many as five sheets counting them as one sheet on the feed through.

Jack

3. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

I do my best to separate the paper in the feeder. The "reclining sheet" thing that I thought was a solution does not work as well as I thought. I am at about 50% where multiple sheets pull through on the top tray and 50% where they do not:

What I have been testing, just running blank sheets through the copier and reloading so as not to waste paper is now the following method: (For the HP 3015, NOT the newer model 3015P. Although similar All In One Printers may benefit from the steps below. with similar Tray 2 multi-feed paper pulls.)

1.) Put the paper in the Auto Document feeder with the first page printing facing away from you and letterhead face down.
    2.) Gently drop it into the feeder, don't push it all the way down.
    3.) Face the right side of the printer and separate the pages by gently nudging the paper so that the right side of the paper edge shows about a 1/5th to a 1/2 inch separation that you can physically see along the right edge.
    4.) Now Print, Copy, or Fax.
    5.) Even if there is a matter of as little as about a half second delay with the pages going down, as long as there is that delay, it should work better than if you don't use this method.

Tray #2's paper separator seems to be the problem here, but I have only been able to find replacements for the bottom tray. Even HP's own top tray printer support documents appear to suggest if a cleaning of the paper separator does not work, to request service for the printer.

Jack

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1106127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice