1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hp LaserJet 3200 - opinions and does it fax from a PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computer-aces, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computer-aces

computer-aces Thread Starter

My dad works in a small office with 3 computers networked. They have a copier that's 10 years old and needs to be replaced. They also have a fax machine and an inkjet printer. I've looked into them getting the HP LaserJet 3200 with the Jet Direc 175X. This way all the computer could print to it. I need opinions from people about this printer and how well it works on all it's functions. They copy about 2000 copies per month. They won't be printing too much on it. The main thing he would like to do is to fax something from the PC. Right now he types something up and prints it and then faxes it manually in the fax machine. On the HP site, it says this printer can fax, but I'm not sure how well. Can it fax directly from the PC? - maybe from MS Word or other applications (QuickBooks Pro 2001)? Anyone have any suggestions of other printers or how well this one operates?

Here's a .pdf about the printer...
    http://www.hp.com/itrc_pdi/products/pdfs/lj3200.pdf

Thanks in advance!!!

Cory

2. Rockn

Rockn

HMMMM.....doesn't say you can even netwok this thing according to CNET's review. Looked on HP's site too and nothing about networking. You can get a fax modem in one PC and using something like WinFax Pro you can use it as a print server and everyone can fax directly from their apps and share phonebooks etc. You can even use your Outlook contacts to fax from. I would just get a good networkable printer and a good fax modem with WinFax or other fax server software.

3. computer-aces

I'll get the Jet Direct 175x - which will put it on the network. I'd rather not put a modem in a PC. One is used all the time. The other is a laptop. The other is just old. Plus I'd like to use the printer's fax function. I just need to know if you can fax from a PC with that one. If not - which printer/copier can do it?

Thanks!!!

Cory

4. Rockn

Rockn

Like I stated, I don't believe it supports network faxing, you need some kind of fax server to get that to work, but the printing using the JetDirect should work fine. The fax you are talking about is a sheet fed fax not a virtual printer/fax

5. computer-aces

Anyone know a printer/scanner that will fax from the PC? - without printing it.

Cory

6. Rockn

Rockn

IT WON'T!!

Why are you so adamant against using a PC/Server as a fax server? All you would need for a fax server is an old 486 with a minimal hard drive and memory.

There are also apps that will do internet faxing if you have internet access.
    http://www.protonet.com/efax/
    http://www.symantec.com/winfax/

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

HP OfficeJets can........say you type a word document, then you go to your file/print menu and choose to print it to the Office Jet Fax instead of the printer portion.....you can then enter a phone number and the fax machine portion will dial out.......

8. computer-aces

I'd like a laser printer - no ink jet.
    Plus, something that can handle 2000 copies per month - not counting the printing.

Cory

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice