1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Laserjet 4L printed with Vista, not with Win7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by minglis, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. minglis

minglis Thread Starter

I bought a parallel to usb printer cable to make my HP Laserjet 4L to work on my Vista dell laptop and it worked. Then I upgraded to Win 7 64 bit. Now it won't work. It sees it, installs fine, just won't print. no errors. Can it be a "cable driver" (never heard of such a thing until I started researching this problem) if it worked with Vista? It's a no-name cable, so won't likely have a driver that I can find.

Is there anything I can do but replace the cable?

2. Sponsor

3. vicks

vicks

I suggest that you go to HP and download the Win 7 drivers for your printer. I had to do that in order to run my Brother MFC unit with our new Win 7 laptop.
    Vicks

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Many parallel port to USB converters don't work... I have heard so many reports of them not working I don't know why they are made.

Your best bet is to go to Device Manager and find out who makes the USB interface chip. To do that double click the device in Device Manager, click Properties, and then the Details tab. Under Property there is a drop down menu. Select Hardware IDs. You should see a text string similar to PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_75491462&REV_02. We can use the text string to determine what the device is, and see if a 64 bit driver is available for it.

If that doesn't work you may need to purchase a PCI or PCIe to parallel port card.

5. minglis

minglis Thread Starter

HP says the drivers are included in Win 7.

6. minglis

minglis Thread Starter

I assume you mean the USB controller? How do I tell which USB controller is for which port or does it matter? The strings are similar but not identical.

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The above probably osn;y listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers, it will be under Ports (COM and LPT). The string for a USB device should look like USB\VID_2040&PID_7501&REV_0800

If this method doesn't work, download USB Device Viewer: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
    Find the device in the Description column then pan way over to the right side of the window and get the VendorID and Product ID nimbers.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!