1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP LaserJet P1006

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by num, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. num

num Thread Starter

Hello,

I am trying to install the HP LaserJet P1006, when I put in the disk it guides me but then where it it says turn on the printer and let windows hardware center install the printer, the hardware center cannot find the appropriate "software" even when I point it directly at the disk. Can anyone help me please?

2. iceq2

iceq2

As an owner of another HP laserjet printer, the typical process of installing it is by running the installer while the printer is connected to the USB but turned off, and during the installation it asks you to turn it on , you do it, and then the computer will identify it because it already has the drivers, and the installation completes suxesfuly.

Good luck

3. num

num Thread Starter

that's the thing, it doesn't complete it. i do what you do but it fails.

4. iceq2

iceq2

okay .. try this :

We agree that during the installation it copies the drivers and asks you to connect the printer.. in this phase, XP already has the drivers, so why not try to identify the printer with the default built in "add hardware" wizard of XP ?

launch it through the CP and let it check for new devices.. if didnt find anything (new) , try to locate the printer in the printers menu, and it should work because the drivers are already there.

It is very likable that this works .. if not, why not contact HP ? :)

5. num

num Thread Starter

add hardware doesn't find it. for whatever reason it isn't able to find the drivers.

also hp says "buy a new computer" that's all.

6. iceq2

iceq2

oh .. mayeb you could locate the driver files inside the installation cds, and install them manually, or , using the add hardware wizard, browser to their location and select them as the source of your new device (the printer)
    apart from this, I think you should contact HP more seriously, explain the problem to them and insist on a solution .

good luck

7. arknorth

arknorth

Or, ask someone who actually sells them...

What may have happened is that even when the power switch is off, there's still a connection between the printer and the computer (this is one of HP's 'instant on' printers, and has some things powered even while it's power switch is off).

For ease of fixing this mess, you might want to turn back your XP clock via System Restore to before you attempted to install the printer (with the USB DISCONNECTED).

USB devices, no matter what the install program says, prefer to have their software installed BEFORE the device is plugged in. Once the restore is complete, run the HP's install disk without the USB attached. The program will tell you when to turn on the machine - that is when you plug it in and allow XP to 'find' the printer.

BTW - before we take this rather drastic step, is this the first printer you have had on this computer? If not, you might want to check the Printers and Fax listing in your Control Panel and see if the P1006 is listed. and if it has a check-mark over it's icon - if not, we just found your problem - the printer is not defaulted as the main printer for your computer - right click on the icon and choose Default.

Good Luck!

A-N

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice