1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Laserjet printer problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CuttingCrew, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew Thread Starter

I run an HP Laserjet 5P printer which has given years of excellent service, until now that is.

When I try to print a block of tone, a different shade of grey, anywhere between 20% to 80% black I get banding and some white lines through the block of print. If I print black, then it's a good solid colour.

I've tried different toner cartridges and the results are identical. Also when I print a test page direct from the printer, the different tones of grey are perfect.

I also get the same result on two different PCs as well, very strange one.

Any help or advice most welcome.

Cheers
    CC

2. arknorth

arknorth

Ah, but are they working with the same parallel cable? They do burn out.

A-N

3. CuttingCrew

Different cables were used between the PCs and the printer.

Cheers
    CC

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

This could not be a cable issue, and the power through the cable is so low they do not "burn out". Or cause banding.

It has all the symptoms of a dodgy corotron, but I am usure in that model if the corotron is internal to the replaceable toner/drum module or not.

If not it needs cleaning.

Try searching Google for a maintenance manual?

5. CuttingCrew

If there was any problem with the printer, I can't understand why the printer test page is so perfect. All the shades are very clear, no banding or white lines at all.

Cheers
    CC

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice