1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP ME xe783 won't power up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ric9pul, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ric9pul

ric9pul Thread Starter

Hi All,

Here's the skinny, I have a very computer illerate friend who bought a Windows ME HP computer. A XE783 that after having, too many to mention, problems was told by his daughter to upgrade to Windows XP, which he did, without checking out the senarios that could go wrong if he did it, first. (terrible sentence) :) Anyway the long and short of it is that his 'puter slowed to a crawl and his son would get fustrated with it and snap the power off/on or unplugit from the wall trying to get it to work correctly. This inturn led to the switch seeming to not function. Now it won't turn on at all and became an expencive paper weight. I offered to take a look at it to see if I could strip it back to Windows ME in the original show room condition, but I haven't worked on a puter before. So what do I need to do to verfy whether the swich is bad or not? :confused:

Ric

2. Blfalcon

Blfalcon

First does the computer make any noise at all when you try to turn it on?

3. qldit

qldit

Good Morning ric9pul, first you might try plugging a known good power lead into the back of the machine, (don't worry about having anything else plugged in at all)
    then plugging the thing into a known good power socket.
    Pushing the on button should cause the leds on the front of the machine to show something. Does this happen?
    qldit.

4. ric9pul

ric9pul Thread Starter

I get a brief flash of the LEDs on the front panel and the keyboard LEDs light briefly

5. ric9pul

ric9pul Thread Starter

Just your normal fan and hard drive spool up. No beeping.

6. Blfalcon

Blfalcon

try resetting the c-mos, there should be a 3prong connector somwhere near the battery. it has a jumper over pins 2&3 move it to 1&2 for a few seconds then move it back. if not take the battery out for about 30 min. the try turning it on

7. Blfalcon

Blfalcon

if it does start to post it should tell you which key to push to go in to setup to update the clock. go into setup fix the clock then we can try to reload the system

8. qldit

qldit

Good Morning everyone, there is a possibility that the battery could cause this problem. Can you test it is better than 2.8 volts, if not replace it. (Probably a 2032)

Do you feel ok with stripping the machine back to basics, (removing all the unneccessary cards and drives) we will walk you through the process.
    Don't do anything yet.
    qldit.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice