1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Modem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Cheryl, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

Again - my ISP kicked me off the dial up connection. I was in Outlook Express and after being kicked off - my cursor froze. I called Atlantic.net and they told me that my connection speed is all over the map and is very slow - like 10,000 to 16,000.

I have an HP Laptop N3350 - 56K modem. The unit will be two years old this coming June. We are running 98 Windows.

He told me that it sounds like either there is too much noise on the phone lines, but more likely my modem is going and it won't hold a connection.

Does that sound like he is giving me gobbly gook - or does it sound logical? If it sounds like the problem, how much does a new modem cost and would it be wise to upgrade and if so - will my speed on downloading be quicker.

Thank you!

Oh yes - no virus or spyware detected.

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

Is this a built-in modem, or a PCMCIA (card) modem?
    Before going out and purchasing a new modem, take a look at this link. It has numerous descriptions and links to "connection optimization" shareware and freeware.

http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Shareware/Windows/Internet/Dial-Up_Networking/

I'd recommend that you investigate any application you might decide to install, as thoroughly as possible.
    I'd also recommend that you try connecting through a friend or co-worker's ISP, and see how well the connection works. Most likely, all you'll need is the phone number, username, and password.
    Most ISP's are hesitant to place any blame on their own servers and services.

Unfortunately, purchasing a new modem will not really make a difference in terms of upload/download speed. Speed is really determined by ISP, line conditions (quality), traffic, etc. A 56K windows modem on a 3 year-old system is going to perform the same as a 56K windows modem on a brand-new system (using the same ISP).

Exhaust all other options and possibilities before purchasing new hardware, (if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;) )

Columbo

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice