HP Monitor + User Profile Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DandelionSteph

Monitor is HP w1907. Computer is Toshiba Satellite L355D. Operating System is Windows Vista.

A while ago, the backlight of my laptop's screen burned out. It is impossible to use unless a bright light is shined directly upon it, and even then it's difficult to read or navigate. I made a workaround by plugging a external monitor (originally for a personal computer) into the laptop.

I went on vacation for two weeks. I believe I put my computer on hibernate before leaving, rather than turning it off. This might have contributed to the problems it's having now, but I have no clue if it's true.

I have four Legos underneath the laptop as legs to ensure airflow beneath the laptop. (It had overheating problems years ago.) While adjusting one of these Legos, the monitor malfunctioned. Though the visual output cord (not sure what the right terminology is) was perfectly attached, the monitor would claim it was receiving no signal and go to sleep. I unplugged the cable several times and put it back in. I turned the computer on and off again several times. (soft shutdown by pressing on the power button for a second, if that's useful) I also unplugged the monitor's power cord, disconnected it from the electrical outlet, and waited several minutes. (I even disconnected both the power and output cord at the same time)

The monitor would work briefly at the logon (choose user) screen, but within two seconds of choosing Owner it would claim to be receiving no signal and go into sleep mode again. This problem did not occur on the Guest account. I created an Owner 2 account (with administrator privileges), and the problem did not recur.

I want to have full functionality. To achieve this end, I will either have to transfer all of the files on Owner to Owner 2, or fix the problem with Owner. (No, using system restore from a backup to a point before the vacation didn't help---at least when run on Guest.)

There's a problem with transferring the files to Owner, however. I tried copying the user profile of Owner onto Owner 2 (through System Properties ---> User Profiles) but the "Copy To" option is greyed out. Google suggests Windows Easy Transfer as a solution to my problem, but I'm not sure it's quite applicable. Easy Transfer's purpose seems to be for moving a user profile onto another computer in the same system, (interconnected, like an office?) but I'm trying to move a user profile's data onto another user profile as a workaround.

Oddba11

Jim
Sounds like the profile is corrupt. So copying it into another profile will very likely simply break the new profile as well.

Try booting into Safe Mode and uninstalling the video drivers, then reboot and try accessing the "Owner" account.

DandelionSteph

Wouldn't uninstalling the video drivers make the computer unable to process visual output? Does the reboot auto re-install video drivers?

Oddba11

Jim
Uninstalling the video drivers and rebooting forces Windows to use the generic Windows drivers.

When you get video output in Safe Mode and not in Windows, it's typically a sign that the video drivers are corrupted.

Assuming you are then able to access the "Owner" account, you would then simply reinstall the latest video drivers for your video chipset.

DandelionSteph

I did as you said. I went to Safe Mode and uninstalled the video drivers. The visual displays still functioned (if a little strange-looking---probably the generic Windows drivers) and then I accessed Owner. Upon doing so, it found the video drivers (Radeon) and installed it. I then rebooted the computer, as the installer suggested. However, when I returned to Owner, it had the same display problem again. Owner 2 is unaffected, despite ostensibly using the same driver software.

DandelionSteph

I asked a member if it was acceptable on the forum to "bump" a topic. I did not receive a response.

I am still experiencing this problem. If I cannot restore Owner, I want a method to transfer all of Owner's files to Owner 2.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online