Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HP Monitor + User Profile Problems

Solved 
3K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  DandelionSteph 
#1 ·
(Originally from this topic. Oddba11 said I may get a better response on the Vista board. The conversation with Oddba11 might contain some useful information for others. If so, a moderator could replace this with a copy of that topic.)

Monitor is HP w1907. Computer is Toshiba Satellite L355D. Operating System is Windows Vista.

A while ago, the backlight of my laptop's screen burned out. It is impossible to use unless a bright light is shined directly upon it, and even then it's difficult to read or navigate. I made a workaround by plugging a external monitor (originally for a personal computer) into the laptop.

I went on vacation for two weeks. I believe I put my computer on hibernate before leaving, rather than turning it off. This might have contributed to the problems it's having now, but I have no clue if it's true.

I have four Legos underneath the laptop as legs to ensure airflow beneath the laptop. (It had overheating problems years ago.) While adjusting one of these Legos, the monitor malfunctioned. Though the visual output cord (not sure what the right terminology is) was perfectly attached, the monitor would claim it was receiving no signal and go to sleep. I unplugged the cable several times and put it back in. I turned the computer on and off again several times. (soft shutdown by pressing on the power button for a second, if that's useful) I also unplugged the monitor's power cord, disconnected it from the electrical outlet, and waited several minutes. (I even disconnected both the power and output cord at the same time)

The monitor would work briefly at the logon (choose user) screen, but within two seconds of choosing Owner it would claim to be receiving no signal and go into sleep mode again. This problem did not occur on the Guest account. I created an Owner 2 account (with administrator privileges), and the problem did not recur.

I want to have full functionality. To achieve this end, I will either have to transfer all of the files on Owner to Owner 2, or fix the problem with Owner. (No, using system restore from a backup to a point before the vacation didn't help---at least when run on Guest.)

There's a problem with transferring the files to Owner, however. I tried copying the user profile of Owner onto Owner 2 (through System Properties ---> User Profiles) but the "Copy To" option is greyed out. Google suggests Windows Easy Transfer as a solution to my problem, but I'm not sure it's quite applicable. Easy Transfer's purpose seems to be for moving a user profile onto another computer in the same system, (interconnected, like an office?) but I'm trying to move a user profile's data onto another user profile as a workaround.

---
System information:
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72, AMD64 Family 17 Model 3 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3581 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 231 GB (83 GB Free); F: 465 GB (147 GB Free);
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#2 ·
You said it auto installed the drivers for the video right? That means it got them from Windows Update. You need to go to the laptops website and download the OEM graphics drivers. Then remove the drivers again and before restarting , install the downloaded drivers...then restart.

#4 · (Edited)
I tried installing it multiple times. Each time, it failed. This might have been because I didn't uninstall the previous version first.

I then uninstalled the previously installed version and tried to install the first copy of the attempted download. However, it gave me the following message:

Can't create output file: c:/temp.ati/Bin64/ATILog.dll

It then closed.(Note that the slashes are actually backwards)

I tried downloading it again, but received the same message.

I tried again, unchecking the "When done unzipping open: c:/temp.ati/Setup.exe" box. (The slashes are backwards)

It still gave the same error message.

---

The ATI Catalyst Install Manager brought up the following page in Internet Explorer:

Catalyst® Install Manager
Installation Report
08/19/17 13:16:10

Hardware information
Name ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics
Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc
Device ID 0x9613
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x030000
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0xff6a
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1179
Other hardware
Existing packages
AMD Catalyst Install Manager
AMD APP SDK Runtime
ATI Display Driver
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable
AMD Catalyst Control Center
Packages for install
Catalyst Control Center
Final Status: Success
Version of Item: 2008.0521.920.14728
Size: 150 Mbytes
North Bridge Filter Driver
Version of Item: 1.00.0000.1
Size: 1 Mbytes
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Version of Item: 7.3.0.0
Size: 10 Mbytes

Other detected devices
RS780
Device ID 0x9600
Vendor ID 0x1022
Class Code 0x060000
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0xff6a
ATI Integrated SATA Support
Device ID 0x4391
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x010601
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0xff6a
ATI Integrated SMBus Support
Device ID 0x4385
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x0c0500
Revision ID 0x3a
Subsystem ID 0xff6a
ATI Integrated SATA Support
Device ID 0x439c
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x01018a
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0xff6a
ATI Integrated Azalia Support
Device ID 0x4383
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x040300
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0xff6a

Error messages

---

I will try installing a slightly older version of the graphics driver.
UPDATE 1: After restarting from the Catalyst program, on startup of Owner 2 I found this message:
'MOM.Implementation, Version=2.0.3063.14943,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

During the startup of Owner 2, the system searched for the driver software. It said it found "ATI Radeon 300 Graphics" and a restart was required. However, if I recall correctly, I encountered a similar message while trying to fix Owner's graphics. (This time I chose "restart later")

Did I do something wrong?

---
UPDATE 2: The display is still weird. I think it's still using the generic graphics software. I used Device Manager and selected "ATI Radeon 3100" graphics' properties for a software update, but it's still searching online for software.

#7 · (Edited)
Have you Satellite L355D-S7091?
Install driver from Toshiba.
ATI Display Driver for Windows Vista (32/64bit)
Version: 8.479.1.4
Description:
The display driver is required for proper operation of your display.
This display driver is for Windows Vista, and Windows Vista 64-bit Edition operating systems.
Change Points
Changes were made to correct the following:
  1. A blue screen may occur if a media file is played for more than 8-hours when the computer is configured in Extended Desktop mode.
Installation Instructions
Save this file to a convenient location such as the Windows Desktop.
  1. Uninstall the existing version of the ATI Display Driver from Control Panel.
    • From the Start Menu, select Control Panel
    • Click Programs
    • Click Programs and Features
    • Double-click ATI Catalyst Install Manager
    • Click Next, Select Express Uninstall All ATI Software, then click Next again
    • Click Remove, then click Finish
    • Restart the computer
  2. Start the install process by double-clicking the file downloaded to the Windows Desktop.
  3. Follow the displayed instructions to complete the install.
  4. Reboot the computer after the install completes.
Data for your card are in file *:\Vista_64\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH6A_INF\CH_64400.inf

[Manufacturer]
%ATI% = ATI.Mfg, NTamd64

[ATI.Mfg.NTamd64]
.....................................................................................................................................................................................
"ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics" = ati2mtag_RS780M, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9613&SUBSYS_FF6A1179
"ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics " = ati2mtag_RS780M, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9613&SUBSYS_FF621179
...................................................................................................................................................................................

#11 ·
Are you asking about the one I have, or the most recent version Toshiba has to offer which I tried to install?
If the former:

atidxx32,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atiu (apparently the full name wouldn't fit inside the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window)
Version: 7.15.0010.0163
Date: 3/14/2009
DDI Version: 10

If the latter, the very version you (123zbyniek) suggested I install.

When I opened up the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, it said in the notes: "no problems found". However, I did use this tool from within Owner 2, not Owner 1. (It is nearly impossible to use Owner 1 because I have to look at the burned-out screen of my laptop. The only way to make it vaguely visible when images aren't very high-contrast is by shining a lamp directly over the screen.)

#13 ·
That image is familiar to me. However, I do not know which link (webpage) it comes from. I tried reverse-engineering where the image must have come from by manually copying down its terms and putting it into a search engine, but none of the results look reputable.

Did you intend to put a link there?

I know it's "ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics", but I'm not sure which series that is in. "Radeon 3100" doesn't show up in the "manually select your driver" dropdown on the AMD website, and the auto-detect and install option won't work for some reason.

#18 ·
Control Panel --> System --> Device Manager --> Graphic card --> ATI Radeon 3100 -->Update driver software -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me choose from the list of device drivers on my computer -> From disk -> Browse -> F: / Temp / Packages / Drivers / Display / LH6A_INF /CH_77718.inf.

#19 · (Edited)
The one I'm seeing is W76_INF, not LH6A_INF. I may have installed a slightly more modern variant of the driver software from the Toshiba website. (the 2009 rather than 2008 version)
In the W76A_INF folder, I chose C7158498.
I'm going to check whether it worked on fixing Owner.

EDIT: No, it didn't work. It seemed to work for a few seconds, until my monitor did the "monitor going to sleep" problem. I had to navigate out and switch users again.

#23 ·
Tried to install AMD Display Driver 8.563.14-090313a. (the real name is longer than that)

Downloaded ATI Catalyst Install Manager (from AMD Display Driver) to F drive.

For ATI, it didn't work. I received the "could not load file or assembly" problem.

Tried installing 2009 version of driver software. Resulted in ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics.

Owner's display is now working correctly. It didn't do the monitor problem within a few seconds, suggesting it really is fixed.
I speculate it was the 2009 version that finally worked, but I'm not sure. Computers are mysterious like that.
The problem may have been a mirroring (or lack thereof) problem on the two monitors. When I adjusted the display, on both Owner and Owner 2 asked how I wanted the display: extended, mirrored, or with the external monitor showing no input. (I chose "mirrored" for both.) It is possible that, on Owner, the settings were adjusted to "no input" rather than "mirrored".

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.