1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP motherboard capacitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by digger747, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. digger747

digger747 Thread Starter

Working on a HP 551W Pavilion for neighbor.Said wouldnt power up.I brought it home and got it powered up but PS fan was froze up,replaced with new one.Seems to be running ok but I noticed about 4 of the larger capacitors are swollen with a little bit of brownich hard material on top of them.My thoughts are its to old to put any more money into_Once that starts happening how long will it run?My thoughts are is to give it back to him and tell him he needs to start thinking about replacing it with new computer and just hope it runs for awhile.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you for sure need to deal with the capacitors BEFORE they totally go, because in my case, they took the processor with them.

I've had two boards do this, the first one killed the processor, the second one I spotted them before it totally died and replaced the capacitors, it's still running today.

If you're not able to replace the caps, I'd be shopping for a new system now. :) There is no way to predict how long it'll keep running, but the fact that it's already marginal is a clue that it's past time to deal with the issue.

3. digger747

digger747 Thread Starter

ok,thanks alot John,kinda what i figured.I have never tried replacing capacitors before,dont know that a computer that old is worth the effort and money.Out of curiosity how hard and expensive is it to replace them?

4. JohnWill

Well, unless you have experiencing soldering, I wouldn't recommend that course of action. However, the parts are not that expensive. I got them from http://www.badcaps.net/, they will have kits of parts for common systems, and you can simply enumerate a specific list of caps and they'll package a custom kit. Figure on around $20 or so for the parts.

5. digger747

digger747 Thread Starter

I soldered a capacitor on a video card once,did ok but probably wont mess with it on this deal.Thanks for the help!

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You can get the capacitors for around 50 cents each (or less) from places like Mouser Electronics, Digikey, and Newark Electronics. You'll need a soldering iron, solder, Solder-Wick (helpful for removing parts), and some soldering skills (recommend practicing on a junk printed circuit board first).

To determine the proper capacitors to buy, you want "aluminum electrolytic" capacitors with "radial" leads. To determine the which capacitors you need look at the markings on the existing capacitors. You should see something like "100UF 16V" which indicates the capacitance in microfarads (UF) and voltage rating (V or WVDC). It is ok to use a higher voltage but not lower, and if larger check the size to make sure it will fit.

Of course, if the cost for parts and tools to do the job exceeds the cost to replace the MOBO, then replace the MOBO (unless you are one of those people, like me, who would spend double what a new MOBO would cost because you get satisfaction from doing the job yourself).

7. digger747

digger747 Thread Starter

I have got a small soldering iron i bought from Radio Shack ,might buy a few capacitors and grab one of the many old motherboards i have laying around and practice removing and replacing them just fot the fun of it.

8. JohnWill

You can also lift the caps from an old motherboard if they have the right sizes, or at least something close. A 20% difference in capacitance will probably not make any difference, since the tolerance on electrolytic caps is pretty large. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice