1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hp Mouse won't connect

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greypillar, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greypillar

greypillar Thread Starter

I have a hp mouse for my laptop that won't connect to the usb port. I click the connect button on the bottom and a red light appears at the top. I've tried new batteries, I've tried holding the button longer. Not sure why it won't work. :/ The mouse is a hp wireless eco-comfort mouse - 5-btn mouse. The product# is FX287AA. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.
    Any ideas?

2. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Here is the HP support and software site for that mouse that you should add and save to your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can refer to it when needed.

You didn't mention if you're using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7.

Have you followed the quick start guide and installed the driver software?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. greypillar

I'm running the 64 bit version of win7. I installed the driver for it and it still won't connect. Is the mouse itself messed up? It's only a year old. I don't feel like it would die that fast, would it?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

I have had new mice die after only 3 months but then I have had them last for 2+ years. Are you pressing the connect buttons in the correct sequence? Some require you press the button on the mouse first then the reciever, though most I have require the reciever first then the mouse.

The mouse should connect whether the software is installed or not, the software is for added features of the mouse like customizing button functions and such.

5. greypillar

The receiver doesn't actually have a button. It's a very small usb port. It's a laptop mouse so the receiver isn't made to be large at all (actually very nice because it only stick out about 1 cm from the side of my laptop, unlike many other mouse receivers). Still stumped on this problem. Red light keeps showing up. Other mouses work, so I know it's not the laptop. Also, I figure if the mouse was broken, the red light wouldn't come on, unless that's it telling me it's dead, in which case I should just buy a new one. Though, I'd rather not spend money right now, haha.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971536