1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Notebook Screen Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hannahroses21, Jul 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannahroses21

Hannahroses21 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8082 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 912 GB (722 GB Free); D: 17 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 81EB
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Hello all, I hope I picked the right forum for this. My HP Notebook 15 is a few years old at this point and has been having some issues lately. This began shortly after a co-worker spilled a small amount of mountain dew on my keyboard, but I'm not so sure they are related.

How it began - I noticed occasionally my screen would slowly fade out to white. Moving the screen brought it back to full color.

It continued to worse over the course of a few months, going from fading to white to grayish white lines over the whole screen, completely obscuring the image. The key board and presumably the mouse were still responsive during these episodes. I could pause youtube videos still with the space bar and adjust the volume.

Currently- Laptop reached a point where it was getting lines on it consistently and moving the screen around only helped temporarily. Then tonight it completely went and I could not get the image to return.

What I've done so far - I took apart the screen portion of the laptop and noticed two main things. One, on the left side there are cords that run from the lower part to the screen, in the hinge, the rubber parts covering the metal internals of the cord are worn, but the cord itself appears undamaged. Two, the connector that goes onto the screen itself (idk the name but it is about an inch long, gold in color and secured with tape, looked kinda dirty. I peeled the tape off (which had really strong adhesive) and replaced it with some clean scotch tape. Probably not the best option, but the laptop is sorta working now. It was fading to white again for a few minutes but it has stopped now. I think this may only be a temporary fix. Any advice? I'm hoping to do the repair at home if I can, but my tech skills are not very advanced. Thanks!

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    After this was done did you disassemble the laptop and rinse the soda with distilled water? Also allowing a day or two for everything to dry completely.
    If not, the soda could have caused damage to the components on the motherboard (like the video chip). That would account for the video issues you are having.

To see if the video chip is the problem, attach another monitor to the laptop. If it has the same problems then it is the video chip on the motherboard and nothing to do with the screen.

3. Hannahroses21

Hannahroses21 Thread Starter

Well I did not clean the computer after the soda was spilled on it. I feel fairly confident it is not anything on the motherboard that is causing the issue, because it comes and goes depending on where I move the screen. This makes me think it is an issue with a connection between the motherboard and the screen. My goal now is to identify which part specifically is causing the issue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice