1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Notebooks, reliable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by invain, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. invain

invain Thread Starter

I've been pricing out new laptops for college, and I've read a few HP recommendations on other computer forums. I checked out the HP site, and customized a dv9500t, and was pretty suprised at what all I could cram into it for the price.

Here's what I built, for $2,157 (2 year accidental damage warranty included in price)

Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz/4MB L2Cache) (Santa Rosa right?)

17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1680x1050)

2GB Ram

511MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive 100GB x 2

LightScribe DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer

High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

To me, it seems like an amazing computer for the price, not to mention that it'll have the new Intel Centrino Pro processor. Does anybody have any feedback on HP? They're ranked pretty high in consumer reports and have a pretty common respectable name. I may be missing something, but this notebook seems to beat out anything I could get for the same price from somewhere like Dell or Alienware.

Just wanted some feedback. I won't be actually ordering a laptop till late August, so maybe things will have changed a bit by then.

2. invain

invain Thread Starter

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I picked up an HP DV9207US for $800, then added $200 for 2gigs of memory and another 120gig hard drive (yes, it has two), so I have a total of around $1000 into it.

Intel Core Duo #1.73ghz
    2gig DDR2 RAM
    240gig hard drives
    nVidia 7600 video (with it's own video RAM)
    17" wide screen (1440x900)
    USB 2.0, Firewire, VGA, S-Video and HDMI outputs.
    FLASH card reader.
    Dual-layer DVD+/-RW drive with Lightscribe
    Gigabit Ethernet and 802.11g wireless
    Media Center software and wireless remote control
    Vista Home Premium

Other than it's a bit large for some tastes, it's a great deal. I got it on a CompUSA sale that had a $400 rebate, which was quite quickly paid.

It also has an add-on TV tuner, but I never bothered to install that, it's somewhere in my closet.

So far, it's worked well, and it's a pleasure to use over my former tiny one. I gave that one to my wife for the kitchen computer. :)

4. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890

I just ordered that exact configuration from HP and it was delivered yesterday. I am very happy with the notebook and would definitely recommend it. I also had the fingerprint and webcam option which is really nice.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't have the fingerprint reader, but mine has the 1.3MP webcam.

6. HamNSwiss

HamNSwiss

If your computer doesn't encounter any technical problems of any sort, HP is the best. But, beware, if you have any sort of problems that require use of your warranty, you are in for one hell of a ride.

My HP Pavillion DV8300 17", 2G Ram, 80G 7200RPM, 256mb GForceGO, etc. flamed out on me on 7.23.07. It is now 30 days later and I have had to contact HP Support 20 times via phone and online support to ensure they send a box for me to send my computer in for repairs (supposed to be overnight, took 2.5 weeks). Had it sent back to me unrepaired and so I called them again to correct the problem. Box sent again. Computer sent back again, unrepaired. No one has any idea why it is happening, what is wrong with the computer or any idea how to get it fixed.

Now I start classes tomorrow without a computer that is required for classes. Awesome.

Beware.

7. keltix

keltix

HPs are solid.
    Compaqs, not as much.

8. z|x

z|x

I use an HP. Haven't had any problems with it since day 1. And their prices are great!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!