1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hp notebook's screen goes black or it shuts off randomly...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pennywise, Aug 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pennywise

pennywise Thread Starter

Over the last week my hp notebooks has been (what I thought ) shut off when I didn't do it. It was weird though because after turning it back on, all my apps were still open. Now, a little bit ago, it happened when I was using it it... went black, turned back on, and the page was just up. Didn't even need to reload. Did a bit of googling, and found it might not be shutting off, just entering hibernation, but I don't have it set up to go into hibernation.

I also thought it might be because the battery no longer holds a charge and is slowly dying (at 7% for the last few days) but that doesn't really affect me because I always have it plugged in.

how can i find out why?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It may have gone to sleep. Type POWER into the Cortana/search area then press Enter to open the power settings, click on the box under 'When plugged in, PC goes to sleep after' and select Never.

It should stay on now. You can also change the time before the screen goes off if you like, using the same method.

3. pennywise

pennywise Thread Starter

both sleep settings are set to never already. it isn't just the screen going off, because just pushing a key doesn't turn it back on. need the power button for that.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You have to press the power button to come out of sleep so maybe it is going to sleep somehow.
    Does the power light flash when it does it ?
    Double check if Hibernate is enabled please.
    Try running with the battery removed for a while to see if that stops it happening.

5. naresh498

naresh498

First Name:
    Naresh kandra
    any overheating issue on the laptop? can you test the same in safe mode and see if it the screen goes off?
    can you update the BIOS and test it again. while updating BIOS. always have charger or power supply connected to laptop

6. pennywise

pennywise Thread Starter

I have always had it on a cooling pad. I had considered updating bios because I looked around and thought it might help my battery issue but it seems rather complicated and I figured I'd screw something up. I will try safe mode though. Will also try removing the battery.. not at the same time though. I don't recall if the power button flashed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice