1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Officejet J6450 All-in-one printer wireless configuration issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigJajee, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigJajee

BigJajee Thread Starter

I recently set up a HP Officejet J6450 All-in-one printer with built-in wireless 802.11 b/g. I was under the same impression like the person who posted similar message to another forum. I already know how to share a printer wirelessly via XP or Vista but having to use another PC as a print server. I thought the new all-in-one can break away from that with its built-in wireless. Any idea how I can make it happen?

2. aasimenator

aasimenator

what exactly do you want to establish here?

3. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

I have yet to see a "wireless printer" be stable and have often seen HP's network software cause all kinds of grief in a network, like causing systems to refuse to shutdown when it can't find the printer.
    The solution; though, is relatively simple and stable as a rock.
    1) Plug the printer in to your router so it is wired and turn it on.
    2) Find it by looking in your routers connected devices list or with http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spscanner.html
    3) Go to the printers management interface by typing HTTP://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ( x's are the address of the printer i.e. HTTP://192.168.1.102 )
    4) Go to its network setup and change it from DHCP (or BOOTP) to a fixed address. I like to use .150 for the first printer, .151 2nd, etc. The users manual for the printer should help you with this.
    5) On the computer where you already installed the printer, find where HP unzipped the drivers, copy them to a flash drive, a shared folder, or a CD. You want the unzipped files!
    6) On every computer where you have installed the HP software, uninstall it!
    7) Start the Add Printer wizard, choose local port, uncheck "automatically detect", choose Standard TCP/IP port, type in the IP Address you assigned to the printer, choose have disk, and point it to the drivers wherever you have them.

Its a bit of a tedious P**n in the *ss; but, once the printer is in a fixed place and you have it setup, it will work for years without trouble.

4. BigJajee

BigJajee Thread Starter

That helped. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/783072