1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Officejet v40 printer install problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mtaustin, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtaustin

mtaustin Thread Starter

Here are the particulars:
    MB: Aopen AX4B Pro-533
    CPU: P4 845E
    USB: Intel PCI for USB Enhanced Controller (2.0)

I've installed USB drivers, then the printer software and downloaded updated drivers for each. But, when I plug printer into USB port, and run the add hardware wizard, no printer is detected. I downloaded a USB 2.0 patch for w2k, but I got an error that stated HP AiO device does not seem to be installed...missing registry key.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

2. zeddy

zeddy

Are all the devices in device manager looking OK, no yellow exclamation marks?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should not have to run the Add New hardware wizard with a USB device. The system should come up and say that there is new hardware detected all by itself. has it ever done this with the printer?

Are the USB ports listed in Device Manager?

You may want to unplug the printer, enter Safe Mode and go into Device Manager and remove any unknown devices under any category or any HP devices and then reboot. Now reinstall the software and then plug in the printer. With most USB devices you have to install the software first, then plug in the device.

Is your system a Brand name system like HP?

4. mtaustin

mtaustin Thread Starter

Zeddy> NO yellow !s in Device Manager. Everything looks fine there.

Triple6> That's when I knew I had a problem--when the device was not automatically detected. It is an Aopen brand MB. Their support techs have been very helpful, but they think this time it's is a windows thing. I will try safe mode and let you know what happens.

thank you both for your input!

Oh, and yes, the USB ports are listed in the D Mgr.

5. mtaustin

mtaustin Thread Starter

In safe mode, I was unable to remove the HPprinter software. I was told that 'the windows installer service could not be accessed and to contact support personnel to verify that the installer service was properly registered'. Phoooey!

So, upon the suggestion of HP support rep, I reinstalled windows over top of itself and still came up with the same problem. The found new hardware wizard said that 'an error occurred because a function driver was not specified for this device instance'.

I also tried to run the USB update from HP and it again told me that 'there was a missing registry key'.

In case anyone was wondering....the USB cable was working last week. I had Win98 loaded on this PC first and the printer was working fine. After a system crash, I wiped the drive and decided to load W2k.

Any ideas?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice