1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP or XP problem ??????

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nitro237, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

I just built a nice new computer for a friend. It's a AMD dual core 5200 , running windows XP Pro. Here's the specs

MNTR ACER|LCD 22" DVI X222Wbd - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$279.99)
    MS WORKS SUITE 2006 RETAIL - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$61.99)
    MB ASUS M2NPV-VM GF6150 AM2 - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$88.99)
    CPU AMD|A64 X2 5200+ 2.6G AM2 2M R - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$163.99)
    LOGITECH S-100 BLK 2PC SPEAKER OEM% - OEM (Qty=1, Price=$11.99)
    MEM 1Gx2|CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-5400c4 - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$69.99)
    HD 320G|ST 7K 16M SATA2 ST3320620AS - OEM (Qty=1, Price=$79.99)
    KB&MS MS|BASIC BLK VALUE PK PS2/US% - OEM (Qty=1, Price=$16.99)
    DVD_BURN LITE-ON|LH-20A1P-185 BK % - OEM (Qty=2, Price=$55.98)
    PRT HP|ALL-IN-ONE PHOTOSMART C4180 - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$119.99)
    MS WIN XP PRO W/SP2B SINGLE PACK % - OEM (Qty=1, Price=$139.99)

As you see he got a HP photosmart C4180 printer. I set everything up and it went smooth as glass.

Now the problem, the computer will not shut down with the printer connected to the computer. It hangs on the "windows is shutting down" screen. I figured something was running in the background, so I began to try shutting down things to find the problem.

I discovered when I shut down the "mass storage device", the card reader part of the printer it would continuing shutting down properly.

I uninstalled the printer completely several times and re-installed the mass storage device and still have the problem.

I have checked the HP site for patches etc and the ASUS site, but found no solutions.

I have tried different usb cables, and different usb ports.

I installed the printer on my computer and my computer shut down fine with it.

Any Ideas?

TIA

2. The Hound

The Hound

I you post a hijackthis log (with the printer and card reader attached), someone will probably pick out the process associated with the card reader which is causing the issue...

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTsetup.exe

Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.

Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    Click Edit > Select All> Edit > Copy to copy the entire contents of the log.
    Paste the log in your next reply.

DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice