1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pav laptop screen, blob and vert bars

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1_mn_circles, Apr 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1_mn_circles

1_mn_circles Thread Starter

• Hi! I have an HP Pavilion laptop, and mysteriously I've lost about 2/9 of my screen to a black blob and vertical bars. (Black-background snap attached.) This thread: https://techguy.org/1222922 touches on it, but I also note a crisp horizontal line at the lower border of the verticals and a shorter just above, also a color-change barrier. There's been no trauma to the laptop or screen, and it happened in a second. From the thread I gather it may be power cables, but what about them? Why the blob, and why the horizontal lines? Pressing on the horizontals or the blob sends a blue pulse along the line. The upper black spike—see attached—also pulses blue when pressed. What do you think may have happened? Many thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    A glass layer in the lower left corner of your laptop's LCD panel has been cracked and caused the loss of some of the liquid crystal fluid. The crack also broke various electronic connections to the transparent electrically conductive traces on the glass. You may discover that the parts and labor to replace the LCD panel may be more than what the laptop is worth.

3. 1_mn_circles

1_mn_circles Thread Starter

Thanks, Chuck. I worried it might be something like that. I'll try to pull my hard drive to an external, or remove it, or something, unless I can hook up a second monitor, though of course then it wouldn't be much of a laptop.... Thanks again.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice