1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hp pav. xt963 not starting

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by STUPIDGIRL, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. STUPIDGIRL

STUPIDGIRL Thread Starter

My sis has an hp pavilion xt963 and it was working fine then one day when she went to start it, it wouldn't start. When she presses f10 to reinstall os she keeps going to a screen that says Microsoft Windows Whistler Personal then she gets missing file "system 32/ NTOSKRNL.EXE".
    Help, what does she need to do?
    We have tried pressing f8 and going to "last known good configuration" and "boot in safe mode" and I think a few other of the options but she just keeps ending up back at the Whistler screen.
    Any ideas?

P.S. She doesn't have an os cd rom her computer has it installed inside the computer.

2. STUPIDGIRL

I made a boot disk and I am going to go to her house tomorrow and see if it does any good. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.
    Thanks!

random thought: OMG!!! It is cold here! It is like 9* outside.

3. STUPIDGIRL

I believe her hd is damaged. When I took the startup disk over there I would not let me access C: drive at all. So when I took her computer apart it was sooooooooo dusty it was unreal. She didn't know about dusting them out or them overheating so she's gonna get a new hd since they don't cost much and we'll see if that fixes it.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

But if there is no OS CD (which means it was on the old HDD), how will you reinstall Windows?

And for it to give a boot of Microsoft Windows Whistler Personal means it was booting a pre-release (Beta) version of XP, which will have expired. That PC came out with 98SE on it.

If it has XP on it, and was formatted as NTSF, a 98 boot disk would not be able to access anything on the C: drive as it cannot read NTFS.

Something is a bit odd with what you found basically...

5. STUPIDGIRL

The computer came with win xp when she bought it and the start up disk that I used was for win xp. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. but even when I used PCDoctor cd on it, I still could not access C: drive. Pressing F8 or F10 didn't do anything either.
    I'm going to have to call HP to find out what to do about the os for the new hd.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice