1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP pavilion 20 All-in-one

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by goyeinto, Sep 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goyeinto

goyeinto Thread Starter

Newb here, greetings

HP 20 pavilion all in one...

s/n 3cr2400816

model No.20b019

Windows 10

Ive read - re-read the things to do, but a lot of them imply that your able to get through your start up, which i can't do that right now.

So far this is where i'm at;

1. preparing automatic repair

2. Diagnostic of pc

3. Repairing Disk Errors

4 Scanning & repairing drive c.......this may take longer then an hour, numerous attempts never made it pass 4%. That's as far as I can get.

I did have a FAIL DISK that tested FAIL

Some forum rumors are "replace hard drive" and download everything to get it back to where it was. Again the rumors are mainly mentioned when your puter can make it past the boot startup.

Sorry for being long winded, if you think i should buy another puter, let me know that also.

goye

2. C141

C141

If you're content with the computer for the most part, served your needs & it ran well prior, I'd be inclined to replace the failing hard drive & perform a clean install of Win10. Hard drives are really cheap these days, & that includes the Solid State drives.

3. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    You may need to replace the HDD since it is starting to fail. You will need Windows 10 OS and your computer drivers.

4. goyeinto

goyeinto Thread Starter

141guy, i used 2 b a c5 engine mech 4 like 20 years, thank you for your service.

!. (virgin ?) I'm presuming that the hard drive will have a part # on it somewhere, right. And when i order said part #, I'll order / buy from where?

Is there any other thing i need to know about this purchase?

Remove and Replace. Remember R2? air force jargon

#2 Any guidance required for "perform" a clean install of Win10? Uncertain but I think my sick machine came with all that installed?

.tb. thank you, see above ?#2, how can i determine what my "computer drivers are"?

Your solutions and guidance are much appreciated........

goye

5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Try HP Support. I could not find any drivers for your computer serial number.
    I am not sure if you can make a copy of your drivers and OS from your computer old HDD.

6. C141

C141

I couldn't either, & couldn't find anything for a model No.20b019.

I was an aircrew Loadmaster. Proud to have served. Thank you also for your service.

Double check your model # & serial & post back. I suggest a good light & a magnifying glass. The lettering can easily be misread.

Could this possibly be your computer? https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...ries/5295901/model/5296765/document/c03524659
    The above came with Win8 installed.

Did your computer come with Win 10 installed or did you do an upgrade from Win8 possibly?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  7. goyeinto

goyeinto Thread Starter

Thanks guys.......let's try again on the model number, say No.20-bo14.

I right down the Product # this time,,,,No.H3Z01AA#ABA

The link provided gives the same appearance as the one i have here.

I remember it coming with windows 10, as my buddy bought one right around the same time and he was scared off about the new & improved windows 10 because it was new and he preferred the really use to it Win 8 version. I never had any -thing to save or install when it first arrived to me.

Again your efforts TB & 141 are appreciated, goye

8. C141

C141

The HP link for your model is here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03522601

According to that link it came with Win 8 installed. If you're now running 10, then at some point in the past it was upgraded.
    Please verify that it is 10. The link doesn't list Win10.

Your computer appears to have come with a 1TB 3.5 inch form factor SATA drive. You can replace it with a drive of larger, same or smaller storage capacity, depending on your needs. There is no specific part number involved.

A suitable 1 TB HD can be seen here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=sata_hard_drive-_-22-236-339-_-Product
    Interesting is that it is the same price as the 500GB currently.

Of course you have other choices than the one I listed above, & other places to shop from. Amazon, Newegg, & eBay though are popular. I usually check all three for best price, & the return policy if purchasing from an eBay seller. Avoid all hard drives listed as Refurbished.

This Youtube video should be helpful:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  9. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    The first link that C141 provided you about your computer specs, it states that there is no OS recovery installed in your computer. You will need to download the proper OS from microsoft to install it. You might need your product key if downloading Windows 8.1 and also you will need the proper drivers for your computer. If you want to install Windows 10 I would just wait a few days since the new update version is about to be released soon, but it is up to you to decide.

10. C141

C141

It's available now. Just finished downloading it. Will burn to disc & install in a day or two.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-10-version-1809-os-build-17763-released.1217294/

The link for Drivers doesn't show driver downloads for Win10. Chances are he is running 10. If not, I don't believe that will be a problem as 10 does a pretty darn good job locating drivers. His comp also appears to only be 5 years old at the most. We'll just have to wait for his reply.
    Have a good day texasbullet!

11. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    The only drivers he may need on Windows 10 is the audio driver. The graphics card driver will be installed thru the microsoft updates.

12. goyeinto

goyeinto Thread Starter

Alright, i'm ready to plunge in, the part im buying is 1 TB HD 22-236-339, should I try newegg or purchase locally.

I will wait for confirmation on the part #from you. I won't proceed till the HDD is changed.

13. goyeinto

goyeinto Thread Starter

WD Blue 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive WD10EZEX

on the bay now, this is the one, right.

Again for all of your assistance.

goye

14. goyeinto

goyeinto Thread Starter

Thanks thus far......I have removed the hdd. c

I'm typing this out to ensure that I order the correct part the first time, some of the info shared matches what is on mine now,

WD
    WD10ezex
    1.0TB
    S/N wccis0500282T: 2ctyF00vz3gt2r
    p/n 691790-001
    model; wd10ezex-60zf5ao

What is the p/n that i should purchase???

I'll have to wait to do the windows 10 or windows 8

SATA 6Gb/s 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive,

i don't see this on my hdd

type with you soon

15. C141

C141

Part number doesn't really apply. You are purchasing based on the Form Factor. The drive I referenced will work or you could shop for a different manufacturer...Seagate, Hitachi, etc. Purchasing online usually will save you $$. Newegg offers Free 3 day shipping. Also depending on where you are located you may find tax added to the purchase price. Newegg charges tax on orders shipping to California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Washington only.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!