1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion 501n cannot boot to CD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by timperkins, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timperkins

timperkins Thread Starter

I've got an older HP Pavilion 501n that I need to install XP Pro onto... It's currently running XP home, but I need to set it up onto a domain.

The machine won't boot to the CD... I've tried both XP and Debian install CD's, but neither work (so it's not the media).

If I let the machine boot to XP Home then try to run the XP Pro setup, it tells me it cannot continue becuase the existing version of Windows (XP Home) is newer than the one I'm trying to install.

My preference is to format the drive and start from scratch, but I can't do this if I can't boot to the CD.

Please advise,

Tim

2. ratchet

ratchet

Welcome toTSG.

Have you set your bios to Boot from CD-Rom?
    Boot menu

3. timperkins

Yes, I've tried various BIOS settings, all including the option to boot to CD. I even tried setting the BIOS so that the CD was the only bootable device - All result in the same error message.

The CD works fine when I boot to the hard drive.

4. ratchet

ratchet

5. timperkins

I tried the ME disk from bootdisk.com, but when it boots up the drive is still not recognized... I select (2. Start computer with CD-ROM support) and when the ATAPI driver tried to load it tells me "No drives found, aborting installation". The ASAPI drivers load fine and the hard drive gets recognized.

I could reformat the drive at this point, but if I can't read the CD I won't be able to load the new OS.

6. ratchet

ratchet

If your bios recognizes your CD-Rom you would think the boot disk drivers would load.

I have had to replace a Cd-Rom to install Windows on an old HP (pentium pro). It would recognize the Recovey CD then error out. Do you have another cd-rom you could stick in, for the install?

7. timperkins

The other oddity is that when I boot using the ME bootdisk.com floppy, the hard drive isn't recongnized either... This is so weird.

8. ratchet

ratchet

Is there anything in Device Manager to indicate an IDE Controller issue?

9. timperkins

No. After f'ing around with it for 2 days I finally decided to uninstall XP SP2, which allowed me to upgrade to XP Pro. I copied the entire XP Pro CD to disk just in case. I'm half way through the install and it looks good.

Thanks for you help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice