1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hp pavilion 6835 bios problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by foxtrotsam2, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foxtrotsam2

foxtrotsam2 Thread Starter

I'm having a very unpleasant problem, I decided to help out a friend with his hp pavilion, he wanted an upgrade from win me to win xp pro, the machine wouldn't even boot properly (taking an hour to get to the desktop because it was so full of junk) so instead of fooling around with it, i stuck a 3 1/2 floppy in with an ME start up disk and did the fdisk thing but didn't format yet. i did this later on though, it would not install now when i boot up, it gives an error message about the time not being correct and that's it, it won't go any farther, oh, and I left the battery off over night hoping it would reset the cmos, now when i go to the bios setup to try and correct the problem it responds to the keyboard commands for about 7-10 seconds then just quits responding altogether, it doesn't give me time to set the time/clock or anything,it just freezes up and I don't know how else to clear the cmos settings, the hp site tells me there are no jumper settings, what does a guy do, I don't want to buy my friend a computer for this, thinking that i may have screwed up something. any ideas, clear cmos settings, etc?????

2. winbob

winbob

Unplug the HD from the MOBO, and any other unnecessary peripherals, CD's, DVD's, etc. Just leave the KB, Mouse, Monitor plugged in. Then try to get to the BIOS and do the time/date setup.

While you are at it, check the other settings as well. Make sure that the HD detection is set for AUTO.

If you get thru this, reconnect the stuff and reboot. If you have a problem like b4, then connect each peripheral one at a time rebooting after each until you find the culprit.

3. foxtrotsam2

I'll give that a try winbob, i'll have to get back to you tommorow, let you know how i make out, been away all weekend and am just now checking in, thanks i hope it works

4. foxtrotsam2

sorry, i have another question, how do you clear the cmos on the hp 6835, i looked in the website and looked at the specs on 6835 and it tells me it does not have any jumpers, (and it doesn't) i tried removing the battery overnight, thats when it started acting funny on me, the reason why i want to clear the cmos is to do a clean install. anyone with a good answer is appreciated so much.

5. winbob

winbob

foxtrotsam2,

When you removed the battery did you also unplug the wall cord? If you want the CMOS to zero out, you need to have no voltage available to the unit.

The purpose of the battery is to supply voltage to the CMOS when the PC is NOT connected to the 120V outlet.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/354521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice