1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion 763 Memory Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aeast83, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aeast83

aeast83 Thread Starter

I have a HP Pavilion 763n with 512k of RAM running Windows XP. I decided to upgrade the memory to 2 GB by purchasing 2 1 GB DIMMs, which is the max that the motherboard specs said that the system could have. After pulling out the 512k DIMM and inserting the 2 1 GB DIMMs, I received a series of repeating long single beeps as I powered up the PC. Upon searching the internet for BIOS error beep codes, I assumed that the long single beeps were due to memory error. So I tried reseating the DIMMs which didn't solve the problem. I also removed the DIMMs, used compressed air to clean out the DIMM slots on the motherboard and reinstalled the DIMMs. This also didn't solve the prolbem. Finally, I put the original 512k DIMM back in. This also now results in the same problem. I tried putting the 512k DIMM in both memory slots and the problem still exists.

I checked all the connectors on the motherboard and made sure they were properly connected and the chips seated. So I don't believe I have any loose connections.

So here I sit with a PC that won't boot. I'm not sure if the problem is with the DIMM modules or the motherboard. I wore a static wrist strap and worked on a hard plastic mat. Do you think that I fried the DIMM modules? Or is there something else that I am missing that is causing the error?

2. kimsland

kimsland

Remove the ram (probaly out already)

Dicipate the computer voltage, hold the power button in for 20 secs

Remove the motherboard power connector (big square one - momentarily lost its name)
    Obviously power cord out

Reset the bios jumper (usually red connector) usually just need to remove it (can remove cmos battery too)

Put everything back with 512 Meg ram

Try again

3. aeast83

aeast83 Thread Starter

Thanks. I did those steps. Now the PC will power but not boot. The fans don't even start. Do you have any advice on what to do next?

4. kimsland

kimsland

Try the above over again.

The power supply can cause this type of fault (even though it turns on)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice