1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion a000 doing strange stuff

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sundance2008, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sundance2008

sundance2008 Thread Starter

A friend asked me to look at his HP after Geek Squad couldn't fix it (most likely not cost effective for them to spend the time to fix it rather than can't).

When I got it, it came on and the screen showed a blinking curser and that was it. It wouldnÂ’t boot or do a recovery from the HP disks. I did a recovery in another computer and reinstalled the HD. Found the BIOS set for a PCI video card with a AGP installed, everything else looks OK.

When it boots I get the POST screen with no errors but there are lines vertically on the screen. About every inch across the screen there are two (one or two pixels wide) lines about 3/16" apart. They also show on all the screens except POST.

Windows started the setup process and I get to the screen where it asks for a workgroup or domain. There is a delay for a min. or so but I am never able to select anything. Then I get a message saying the specified workgroup is invalid and would I like to proceed and select it later. If I say no, after a while it just does nothing and displays this message again. If I say yes it goes to a screen telling me there will be a count down and the screen may go blank and the computer will restart. When it restarts this whole process runs again and I once again have to put in the key code and this all just repeats.

Anyone have any clues on this. I'll try another video card to clear the video problem but that doesn't explain how windows is acting.

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. I know, it's a old P4, why waste time. It runs XP great and may still have life left in it and best of all ...it WON'T run Vista(n).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice