1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion Bios UPdate

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superbobu2, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. superbobu2

superbobu2 Thread Starter

I got a big problem. A friend asked me to update his OS on a HP Pavilion 900MHZ desktop. So i did. He also asked to upgrade his memory from from 256mb to 512mb. So i tried. He has the 168pin Sdram DIMM. One stick worked fine. But when I put in the second stick it errors. "bios not acpi compliant"

So i looked up the error. First i found that i can just turn off the acpi in cmos and it will work. No option in cmos. Then I found to redo the install and at the setup screen hit F7 instead of F6. Did not work. Blue screen during install. Also found that i need to update the bios. Went to HP site. NOthing there. Went to motherboard site. Its an asus k7m board. Got the updated bios. Got the flash program. No luck. Says bios/chipset not found. CAnnot flash the bios. Thing is i am stuck. Got the memory from a local computer shop. He had to special order it since its so old. He will not take it back. $70. I need to flash this bios.

Anybody know where i can find a flash that will upgrade the bios or a website to help me with this?

The memory stick is good. I can put either one in and it works fine, just not both. Very frustrated.

Thanks

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What model Pavillion is it? Many times though you have an asus mobo the Bios has been customized for HP to work with it. And the motherboard may also not be a standard asus K7m motherboard, being a custom setup for HP.

3. superbobu2

Its a model 8765c. I looked on HP site. Nothign there. i assume because its old?

I assumed it was custom for the HP. But I have to flash the bios in order to take the additional 256mb stick.

4. superbobu2

I am all set. It turns out even though both memory sticks are 256mb sdram pc 133 dimms, they were different brands. I found one to match and now i can get it to boot with 512mb ram. Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice