1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hp pavilion continuous issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by twhitt5, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twhitt5

twhitt5 Thread Starter

I have owned two different hp pavilions ( and still do), however, I periodically have a problem with both in that they will fail to recognize my cd-rom drive and/or the cd-rom drives will fail to "read" any disk (as if no disk were in the drive (although it is)). My immediate problem is both. During a cd-rom game my screen blurred out and I was forced to exit. After closing the program and removing the disk, my computer still shows a cd-rom drive under the device manager screen but if I go to browse and try to select the drive letter (d) it states no disk in drive, even though there is. I have even tried my recovery program disk and followed all instructions to shutdown completely for 30 seconds and then reboot, but alas it still will not attempt to read even this disk!! This time my computer also , during one reboot attempt of a thousand, seem to have "lost" my usual display settings and I could only setup for 640 x 480 resolution with 16 bit color! I have managed to correct this problem though. I cannot run system restore and do not know why either. I have plenty of memory for this feature. I, in the past, have paid a lot per hour to sit on the line with a tech support rep and I remember them taking me through the ms/dos prompt and changing some registry options and so on and so on, however, I will not change these options on my own. Is there anyone who can let me know why this happens and how to fix this issue? I have this problem about every 3-4 months. This current computer runs on Windows ME and my older runs on Windows 98. I will be glad to submit anything I can to help you out technically. Thanks!

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    How old is your CD-ROM drive? usually when something like that happens the CD-ROM may not be reading the discs properly due to old age or even because it has not been cleaned. Try cleaning it with a CD-ROM Cleaner (couple of bucks at any store) to see if the problem persists. But usually it's the CD-ROM dying.

3. Krall

Krall

I dont know how comfortable you would feel doing this, but you may want to take the cover off the pc's and make sure all cables going to your CD drive are secure. Sometimes they can work loose. and make sure those cable are connected to the motherboard securly too.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Got your message but could not reply.

You know, in my experience the problem is that the CD-ROM is dying due to old age, but you said it's only about 2 years old. Maybe it's not a good CD-ROM. Standard CD-ROMs are cheap these days, you might want to go to a local owned computer store. They would have an old, working one for you to try out. Maybe they can also tell you what the problem is (if it's not what I have already put down)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice