1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jav1466, Jun 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jav1466

jav1466 Thread Starter

I hope someone out there can help us. My girlfriends computer will not power up at all. Her system is an HP Pavilion 6540c. It first started about four months ago, her system would freeze up and she would have to cut it off for at least an hour before it would power back up again. Now it has been unplugged and off for at least a month and it still will not power up. it just has the orange standby light on. Her moms boyfriend said to add more memory and it would fix the problem, but I don't see where the memory would cause this. Please give any advice you can. thanks in advance.

2. Sponsor

3. brianF

brianF

It really sounds like something is loose internally. Pull the cover off, reseat all the add in cards, power connectors to all devices including the motherboard, Reseat the video card, ram, and processor.

If that doesn't work pull out everything except the processor, ram, floppy and vid card, put a win98 startup disk in and see if it will boot.

Also if you have another video card available and montior swap things out.

4. GabeG

GabeG

I've been here, and done this.I now have a new system, since the 1 year warranty was up, and I spent several hundred dollars paying 2 different technicians to "diagnose" my problem. Neither could give me a definitive answer. In effect I paid them to re-format the hard drive that I had just re-formatted myself. Microsoft has a patch for Win98SE that didn't do me any good. It's almost like a heat problem, since we can turn the machine off, leave it awhile, come back and it'll start. Mine never wouldn't start, like yours is doing now. It "hung" during Partition Magics attempt to re-boot in DOS to complete the changes to my hard drive. I did a hard re-boot, let it sit for a half hour, started it up, and it gave me the OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND message. 18 mos after buying that P.O.S., shame, I liked the machine otherwise. Good Luck, and I hope you enjoy your new computer.

5. jav1466

jav1466 Thread Starter

hey guys I want to thank you for your help with the hp pavilion. Someone told me it was the power supply that was bad, now I just need to get one from HP since only their products work in their computers. thanks again

6. Piano Man

Piano Man Guest

I've heard of Compaq using very proprietary parts, but HP?? Even if that was true, a power supply is not something that you have to buy from the OEM. You just have to make sure that the new one has equal or slightly better wattage.

<font color="blue" size="7" face="comic sans ms"><b><marquee direction="right">Piano Man</marquee></b></font>

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/45810