1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion does not boot from CD

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by player123, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. player123

player123 Thread Starter

Hi I have a HP Pavilion laptop with AMD processor and Windows Vista. I want to reinstall Windows Vista but I can not get it to boot from CD. I went to the BIOS and changed the order so that the CD-ROM drive boots first, but it still didnt work. I upgraded the BIOS but it still didnt work. Any ideas? I want to format the hard disk and reinstall a clean Windows Vista copy. My laptop does not have a floppy.
    The CD ROM does work!

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    There are some cases where the HP recovery DVDs will not work if there's a different system on the Hard Drive.
    But It does NOT sound like this is your problem.

I've not used this program .. but I hear that it can erase the HD .. for a fresh start.
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

I know this works on HP desktops .. not sure about HP Laptops .. But
    When you boot your HP .. does it say at the bottom of the screen ..
    Esc = < Boot Menu> ???

If So .. Pressing the escape key at bootup will enter a boot loader where you can choose to boot from the CD drive.
    But .. changing the bios boot order should have worked.

3. player123

player123 Thread Starter

hmm.. if i format it with that program, i woudnt not be able to insall vista cause the disk wont boot and ill be stuck without an OS. HP SUCKS!

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    The HP recovery CDs will (should) Boot and install a new OS ... even if the HD is Blank .. Just like installing a new HD.

But, Like I said .. I don't think this is your problem.

If it were me .. and I've done this .. I'd Email HP and tell them their recovery CDs don't work.
    It will take a little arguing .. (call it warranty) .. but they will send a new set FREE.
    [email protected]

5. player123

player123 Thread Starter

the thing is im not using a recovery disc, just a windows vista dvd

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Did the Laptop come with Vista ??? .. What's the HP model number ??
    If it came with XP ... I'd put XP back in it .. Good computers with XP are getting hard to find.
    Either way .. I'd get the HP recovery CD/DVDs

Vista is obsolete already.
    Windows 7 RC Public Trial should be available this month.

7. Mollie

Mollie

If the Vista dvd is a legit copy, it should boot. If it's not legit (and I'm not saying it is or isn't) it's possible whoever burned the CD did it wrong.

When you changed the boot order in your bios, did you make sure to save the changes before you exited?

If you want to format and reinstall, the HP recovery CDs work just fine for that. If you don't have the actual CDs, then your computer probably came with a "recovery partition;" HP will let you burn a copy of that partition onto CDs or DVDs so you can boot, recover, reinstall, etc. But be careful - they only let you burn it one time. I don't remember exactly how to make those copies, but either your PC will have an option for making the recovery CDs, or you can visit the HP support site for your computer model and there should be detailed instructions there.

Good luck!

Mollie

8. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

I know this dosn't actually help but can anybody please tell me how to upgrade my BIOS.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!