1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion drive bay two not seen in BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cjay4547, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjay4547

cjay4547 Thread Starter

Hi Guys-n-Gals:)
    I have an HP Pavilion DV9500 Laptop:confused:
    I have Ubuntu Linux(y) on a Samsung HM500JJ 500Gb HDD in bay one, boots with
    no problems at all.
    I have Windows XP PRO SP3:cool: preinstalled on a WD1600BEVS 160Gb hdd in bay two, drive not seen in BIOS so I do not have a choice to boot from it.
    Ubuntu Linux still boots fine no problems.
    Second HDD Win XP is seen by Ubuntu Linux and I can access folders on the drive
    with no problems, so nothing wrong with drive or OS.
    If I take out the drives and put the WD160 drive in bay one leaving the second bay empty it boots fine into Windows with no problems.
    If I take out the WD drive and put it in bay two leaving bay one empty I get no boot, operating system not found.
    If I take out the Samsung500 drive and put it in bay two leaving bay one empty I get no boot, operating system not found.
    So either disk will boot fine when in drive bay one.
    Neither disk will boot when in drive bay two.
    If both drives are in both bays either way round the drive in the second bay will not show in the BIOS and will not boot
    Question? How do I solve this problem, HP as usual are no help.
    Thanks in anticipation of any help.:)

Tomorrow is an extension of today but yesterday is just a memory

2. black-wolf

black-wolf

Sounds like it is a mobo issue. "Bay 2" connection is bad.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1040382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice