1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP PAVILION DV 6700 / No Boot / No OS / No HDD

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by pmc3944, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pmc3944

pmc3944 Thread Starter

I have a Pavilion DV 6700 that I am attempting to repair. The issue is when its powered on it goes straigh to "Press F1 to rsume, F10 to Setup. F1 does nothing, F10 doenst do much either. When I enter the BIOS to perform a HDD self check, it says the self test is disabled. When you first power the laptop on, the HDD light does come on for short time. I have tried resetting the BIOS, booting with a Vista disk (I believe this is the OS installed, however not 100% sure). When I boot with a Vista disk, recovery find no HDD. I tried with an XP disk, and got the same result. This is a SATA drive, however the connecters seem to be more vertical and not horizontal, meaning I cant plug the drive into one of my drive caddies to test the drive that way, or even to recover some data, if the drive is truly bad (or just the master boot sector).

I have read that the BIOS on this particular machine may not provide the self test and that the BIOS would need to be flashed, however I am not sure how to do this with the Windows EXE that HP provided, if I cant get it to boot:mad:

Has anyone seen anything like this before...? I have some a lot of HDD issues, but not one like this, at least not with this kind of SATA connection that isnt your "general" SATA connection.

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks all!

[email protected]

2. pip22

pip22

The proprietary HP connector on the back of the hard drive should simply pull off to reveal a regular SATA interface.
    (Why HP uses a proprietary interface adapter is beyond me).
    Pull it off, then you can pop it into your drive caddy to test it on another PC that's in working order.

You can test any brand of hard drive with Seagate's diagnostic software for Windows (SeaTools). Get it here: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/ (Click "Downloads" on the grey ribbon).

3. pmc3944

pmc3944 Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback! I tested it with seagate in Windows, the long and short test failed (long shows multiple errors) I have it connected via USB, so I read up on it, made the ISO boot disc for DOS, ran the long test there and it said it passed.....after that I booted back into windows and got the same fail results. Not sure if I missed anything to help the recovery, I would at least like to get into it to retrieve data if at all possible. Your help so far has been a HUGE help, got me further than I was getting, but I could use a little more guidance at this point. Thanks again!!

4. gwashington

gwashington

Resolder the ball solder on the graphics chip. I just pop one in the oven last week . I took everything off the motherboard INCLUDING BATTERY and popped mines in the oven for 15 minutes at 350. It worked but that too high of a temp. i suggest 250 for 10 minutes. that way if it dont work the first time ...its still no hot enough to bake a cake on it.

5. pmc3944

pmc3944 Thread Starter

thanks gwashington, but I have to ask what does the graphics chip have to do with the drive not working not only inside the laptop, but not working via usb when attached to another PC?

6. mhd1360

mhd1360

Can you see your files and data when you connect it via USB to other computer ?
    If so , make a copy of your data on somewhere else before it become too late.
    Then we can move on to get ride of this problem with sureness of not having anything to loss.

7. pmc3944

pmc3944 Thread Starter

Thanks, no I cant. The drive will not boot, and when I connect via USB the drive doesnt show up. However I ran some tests via Seagate. In Windows all the tests fail, but when I run the tests in DOS mode the drive seems to pass the tests. I am am really at a loss. Anymore suggestions?

8. mhd1360

mhd1360

Can another computer even detect your HDD or not ?

9. pmc3944

pmc3944 Thread Starter

Not exactly. For instance when connected via USB it never shows up in "My Computer", however when running certain programs to test the drive, certain programs will "see" it, but I am not able to really access the drive for data recovery

10. mhd1360

mhd1360

It seems that the HDD is dead.
    What exactly those programs can detect ? could they determine the capacity of the HDD ?
    If you have valuable data on it that worse for you, there is a chance to replace the HDD electrical circuit because most of the times electrical circuit will dead and the HDD disks will remain fine.

11. gwashington

gwashington

yes u can if use a LIVE Linux disk like SLAX. can can copy over everything from drive to drive.

12. gwashington

gwashington

oh..vertical connections. im sure its a easy way to fix that

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!