1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion dv4 notebook PC operating software Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MasterVon, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MasterVon

MasterVon Thread Starter

[​IMG]

All right I really appreciate if you buddy can help me I have a HP Pavilion notebook PC that was stuck it's a start up because the boot manager was missing I didn't have any of the installation disks the current operating system was Vista I was given a Windows XP installation disc when I try to run it I get the error that Windows has shutdown to prevent damage to my computer I've included a picture what do I do from here I can't load the computer because the boot manager is missing is there any other way to get past this also it's worth noting i did try the other system recovery options they were listed in the startup with the exception of network because I don't have a network to connect it to there wasn't any backup or anything in the computer that I was able to fine really appreciate the help guys
    Okay I can't seem to post the picture but but blue screen it says a problem has been detected and windows has has shut to prevent damage to damage to your computer check for viruses remove any newly-installed hard drives or hard drive controllers check your check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated run chkdsk / F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer technical technical information*** stop: 0x0000007B. (0xF78DA63C, 0xc0000034. 0 x 0 0 0 0 0 000
    After reading some of the other forums I thought I should add that I checked and made and sure that the boot order listed from CD DVD ROM as first choice I had also previously run the system diagnostics test and didn't get any errors in all the diagnostic logs show to be empty

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    The problem is XP doesn't have drivers for Sata AHCI. Go into the Bios and change the Sata mode from AHCI to ATA/Legacy then try the XP install again.

MasterVon likes this.
  3. MasterVon

MasterVon Thread Starter

Let me start by saying did I appreciate you taking the time to answer the question back I know next to nothing about computers, still carry a flip phone the laptop worked last time I saw anybody mess with it the XP disk was given to me by a guy just work for who works at PBS and he's the one that recommended I check out this site and see if I can get an answer to that I'll take a moment to try to look up online and find the system area where I can change the configurations you mentioned but I'm still kind of stumped right now the only setup I'm able to get into here as a startup setup it does have that bi OS setup but it doesn't show anywhere where I can change configurations that it doesn't really list much it's got some password stuff on there enabling language.... boot order doesn't really even have a lot of options that can be changed date time anyway I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but since I can't figure out how to post pictures on here I'm probably not explaining the situation clear enough if you or someone else would be willing to take a moment and walk me through where I need to go to change those configurations I would greatly appreciate it somebody else could break it down well

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You will have to 'slipstream' the Sata drivers into a new XP install CD.
    See here for how to do it :- https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/howto-xp-sata.htm

If you post the full model name of your HP laptop I can check which Sata drivers you will need, the drivers mentioned at the link are for Intel but you may need AMD drivers depending on your particular laptop model.

5. MasterVon

MasterVon Thread Starter

Sorry I didn't get back to u sooner I got call out by my job and don't have the laptop with me but if you don't mine answering another question? Can I just get a Windows Vista installation disk a reinstall visited or even 7

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    It will be next to impossible to find a Vista or Windows 7 disk. If you don't have a key/serial number, I'm not even sure that the OS will install.

Vista support ended in 2017 and 7 will end in less than a year.

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You might find a used laptop running Windows 7 on Ebay, probably won't cost much more than buying a 7 install DVD (if you could find one).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice