1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion DV5 Runs BIOS Only

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AbHaq, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AbHaq

AbHaq Thread Starter

Hi, i have this HP Pavilion DV5 laptop which is causing me some problems

I am currently testing two different hard drives with this laptop, and I can confirm that they are working fine.

When I turn the laptop on, the HP logo shows up a couple seconds later, and I have the option of entering the "startup menu". If i don't enter it, then it proceeds to a black screen around 5 seconds later. While this is happening, the hard drive light goes flashes on and off until the black screen. After that, the hard drive light does not flash any more. The computer is not able to boot properly, and it cannot start Windows.

However, if i enter the startup menu, than I can run diagnostics on the hard drive, and open BIOS.
    The hard drive test passes easily, but it is not being recognized on BIOS. I neither can enable or disable the "notebook hard drive" because it is not contained in that list.

I should also add that these hard drives are working fine 100%, because i use them on different Laptops. (HP Pavilion DV4 and Acer Aspire One).

Please help with any suggestions.

2. Dougx789

Dougx789

Hi,
    Have you installed an operating system on these hard drives? Operating systems can't be transferred and a fresh install is required if you move it from one computer to another. Have you tried booting from a live CD or flash drive?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Boot the system with a linux live cd/flash drive. If it boots ok from linux, you know the hardware is most likely ok and the problem is a windows issue. If it will not boot with linux, then you have a hardware problem ie ram, mb, etc.

If it does turn out to be hardware related, then you have to decide if you really want to invest money into a laptop that is 4+ yrs old.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice