HP Pavilion DV6000 boots with grey screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ecerejo

Hello a few days ago I could turn on this laptop for some reason (running windows xp) so came to the conclusion that the mobo fried so I bought another mobo out of ebay. I changed it and now the computer boots and I get the windows xp welcome sound but with a grey screen with some dull lines of color vertical. So I hooked up an external monitor and I see video up to first windows xp logo and it changes to black to go to the final screen the monitor looses signal. With the external monitor I can get to the bios but I don't see anything in there related to the video which I find weird. Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? Could it be that the mobo is bad?

Ed

dai

have you reinstalled the chipset drivers for the new m/b

ecerejo

I can boot it all the way up to windows in safe mode and with a windows boot cd that I have using an external monitor, I was able to flash the bios to the latest bios. Don't you have to install these from windows, does this flash the chipset or is it just software that will install in windows, I just don't know how this would make a difference while the computer is going through post.

dai

you install the chipset drivers from windows

this activates the chips on the m/b

i.e
video
sound
usb ect.

if you are getting a screen in safe mode but not normally install the video driver

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts