1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion DV6000 boots with grey screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ecerejo, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ecerejo

ecerejo Thread Starter

Hello a few days ago I could turn on this laptop for some reason (running windows xp) so came to the conclusion that the mobo fried so I bought another mobo out of ebay. I changed it and now the computer boots and I get the windows xp welcome sound but with a grey screen with some dull lines of color vertical. So I hooked up an external monitor and I see video up to first windows xp logo and it changes to black to go to the final screen the monitor looses signal. With the external monitor I can get to the bios but I don't see anything in there related to the video which I find weird. Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? Could it be that the mobo is bad?

Ed

2. dai

dai

have you reinstalled the chipset drivers for the new m/b

3. ecerejo

ecerejo Thread Starter

I can boot it all the way up to windows in safe mode and with a windows boot cd that I have using an external monitor, I was able to flash the bios to the latest bios. Don't you have to install these from windows, does this flash the chipset or is it just software that will install in windows, I just don't know how this would make a difference while the computer is going through post.

4. dai

dai

you install the chipset drivers from windows

this activates the chips on the m/b

i.e
    video
    sound
    usb ect.

if you are getting a screen in safe mode but not normally install the video driver

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice