1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion F10

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Duamax, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Duamax

Duamax Thread Starter

I was about to do a restore on my computer today. I restarted my computer and hit the F10 key like always, but nothing happens, the computer just restarts. I tried it repeatedly with the same result. I went back to my computer and seen that the restore partition is still there can anyone tell me why I cannot get my restore working? Is there a way around this I mean is there another way to activate my restore?

2. Sponsor

3. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

Hmmm.Do you want a do a full restore of the hardrive to factory condition or just restore to a earlyer time.

4. Duamax

Duamax Thread Starter

I am looking for a full factory restore. I have not been able to find any info on how to access the drive partion that has my restore info and initialize it without having to use the F10 key.

5. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

The way its set up on my computer is go to start click all programs click on PC help and tools click on system recovery.It will say do you really want to run system recovery click yes.Sinse yours is a HP It might be under a different name.Mines a compaq.

6. Duamax

Duamax Thread Starter

I tried to locate that to. I am still unable to locate anything that would let ne do that. Is there a way to start the system recovery from command prompt?

7. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

I don't Know But let me ask my friend.He builds computers so he knows.

8. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

Ok talked to my friend this is what he said I copyed and past it.

I haven't heard of systerm recovery but heard of system restore. If he's got Windows XP, go to START, PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, SYSTEM TOOLS, SYSTEM RESTORE. Next, the default option is "restore my computer to an earlier time". Leave it at that, click NEXT, you will then get a calendar. Click on a date that you see in bold and has a large font. The number of the date will look bigger than the other date numbers. You can select a date to revert back to a date where you last had your computer in a working state before a virus or serious error had occurred. Click NEXT and it will either confirm your option or it will start restoring. Let the computer do the rest.

This may be what I think you're talking about. If not, I have not heard of anything called "system recovery." I don't know anything about the COMMAND line. If you're referring to clicking START, then RUN, I only know "regedit" which I leave alone because changing anything can do some harm, and the other is "msconfig" in which you can select what programs to deactivate when Windows XP boots up.

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

For the full recovery F10 The problem might be that the recovery partition is no longer there. Did you make a recovery disk set? If so on some models of computer the making of a recovery disk set then removes certain information from the recovery partition and it might no longer be available.

To more adequately help you we would need to know more about your computer

We require more detailed and specific information
    And Please fill in the questionnaire or Fill in the
    Computer Specifications in your TSG profile

Please repost your request with:

Computer: Brand Name
    Computer: Model Number

Age of system:

CPU: Brand, speed

Ram: Type, amount, speed

Peripheral devices

Operating system: Windows 98, 98SE, ME, XP Home, XP Pro, Other, and Service Pack Installed.
    Are you dual booting on this computer?
    If so what operating system is the other boot?
    Name, version #, date of most recent AV signature file

Vdeo Card: Brand Name, type, speed, Chipset, driver version and date

Video settings: resolution, advanced settings

Please state your specific problem and when it started

Did you change anything, install anything before the problem started?

List any recently installed software

List software running in background ie: anti-virus program, mail programs, backup software.

Any power disruption or incomplete shutdowns

Failed Scandisk/chkdsk or defrag attempts

Use of any “tune-up” utilities, registry utilities, system diagnostics, other third party utility software

Recent downloaded software

Any new programs or files that have recently appeared in your STARTUP menu or msconfig STARTUP listing

This information may be of critical importance in locating and correcting the source of your problem. Please note any additional information or detail about the problem that may be of value in our assessment of the problem.

Thank you.

10. Duamax

Duamax Thread Starter

My recovery partition is still there. The only thing is I can no longer do restore my computer by restarting and hitting F10

Computer Information
    HP Pavilion 505w
    Windows Xp Home
    1GB of Memory
    2.19GHz Intel Celeron Processor

I am not sure why I am no longer able to access my restore partition, but I its there. I was just wondering if there was a way to manually start my recovery partition?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/497944