like it asked me to and I tried installing and playing Halo. It game me
a error about hardware acceleration, it did the same with Battlefield
1942 (giving a slighty diffrent error, but basicly the same), and also
with a N64 Emulator. They all gave me Direct X related errors. I went
into several places (can't really remember were" to check what video
card I had, and they all said "unkown".

Audio:
The audio doesn't work, I didn't really try anything to fix it other
then making sure everything was connected-which is it.

Also, I don't know if this is important or not (it shouldn't be), but I
uninstalled the defualt version of windows the PC came with, mainly
becuase of all the worthless **** it came with, I figured it was just
easier to re-install windows thne delete it all.

CD Burner:
I can't get the thing to work, I tried Nero and CDRWIN and neither of them would burn a cd, it just said no CD writer installed

I was thinking maby it was a drivers problem, I tried reinstalling them
through the device manager section but it just said their was no drivers
found.

See less See more
#7 ·
http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7V8X&Type=All
Here are all the motherboard drivers for your machine. Download them and install them. DO NOT try to flash your bios with any on this site. Your board is the same, but it is carrying an HP bios. These bios files WILL NOT work on your machine. You can not flash the bios by accident so don't worry about that, it is a very detailed and deliberate proceedure.

#9 ·
Also, just to make sure im downloading the right thing, this is a qoute from HP Support, "After checking the specifications of your product, I found that the
computer was shipped with a VIA KM400a chip set integrated AC 97 audio
and integrated video."

So this is what I need to download?:

FileName 4in1_449.zip Version 4.49 Date 2003/09/10
Description
VIA 4 in 1 driver Package Service v4.49
More...
File Size 1.32
(MBytes)
OS Win9x / Win98SE / WinME / WinNT / Win2K / WinXP

Sorry for being such a ***** about this, but I just want to make sure I don't **** up my computer.

#10 ·
Where do you think I went to find out about what board you have?:) I hacked an HP to pieces, I did the same thing you did. I hated all the preinstalled crap that came on it so I ditched them. You are in good hands, go get the drivers. please. The ac 97 audio driver is there.

#12 ·
ugh, bad news, it didn't work. I downloaded and installed the 4 in 1. It asked me to restart the computer so I did. When it came back on, everything was the same, that being the audio still doesn't work, and the stuff is still giving me errors about direct X.

Know of anything else that might be wrong?

#16 ·
Alright, those audio drivers worked. The audio works now :). Now all thats left is the Video driver and getting this burner to work. Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it, been trying to fix it all day but all the help forums I have went to so far didn't really help at all.

#18 ·
Zxero said:
Alright, those audio drivers worked. The audio works now :). Now all thats left is the Video driver and getting this burner to work. Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it, been trying to fix it all day but all the help forums I have went to so far didn't really help at all.
LOL, most folks that buy an HP don't do to it what we have done. We'll get it working. Hang in there. I have to look and see if there are any IDE drivers for your board.

#19 ·
Okay, I was a little off. When I tried using the defualt CD Burning "software" (not really software, but when you go to "my computer", then the CD Burner, and 'write these files to a CD". The CD Burner works, but I can't seem to get it to work with Nero or CDRWIN (I burn a lot of homedev. stuff for consoles, so it's essential I have CDRWIN or Nero), but I can deal without it for the time being.

What I really need to fix right now is this Video Driver, I have been trying to get several programs, and a couple of games to work, but they all require Direct X, but I can't get the thing to work (even after installing the 4 in 1).

#22 ·
Heh, I can see why you got rid of HP, it can be a pain sometimes, specialy after you just buy it and your already having problems.

Thanks man, you kick so much ***. I really appreciate the trouble you went through to help me find the drivers, Direct X seems to be working (haven't really tested it but I went into DXDIAG and everything seems to look correct, unlike before).

Also, this is no big deal, but when I start up my computer, after it gets past the initial HP blue screen, it asks me to pick Windows XP or Windows Home- which does not make much sense considering I deleted the installation of XP Home, which is apperant when I try to selecet it becuase it says it doesn't exist, so I was wondering if their was a way to get rid of that?

Thanks agai

n.

#23 ·
There is a way, but I am NO good at that part of windows. Now, if you install nero and it doesn't automatically choose a recorder, close down the wizard and make sure you are in the burning rom, not express. Close all the windows except the burning progam itself and click on recorder in the top pane. Choose your recorder and see if that works. If it does, burn your new drivers to a disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.