1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion in Hibernation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by norcrosf, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. norcrosf

norcrosf Thread Starter

Recently bought a HP Pavilion a450n with:
    3 GHz Intel Pentium 4
    512 MB DDR SDRAM
    160 GB Hard Disk
    Windows XP Home Edition
    coupled to a HP Pavilion 19" Flat LCD Monitor.
    Unfortunately, I seem to have developed a common HP problem where the computer will not wake from the sleep mode. The keyboard and mouse will not input, and cycling power to the monitor wakes the screen to the "Going to Sleep" display, then the monitor powers down. After cycling power to the CPU (even removing all power and cables), the computer powers up to the "Going to Sleep" display and then the monitor powers down again. Video cable and pins look good and undamaged..and the boot up doesn't sound or look normal. Took it into to a local shop where they said the NORTON load was corrupted and reloaded, and then installed Windows SP2. Back home..same thing. Believe this is some problem inside of BIOS but don't know how to get at it or fix. Any assistance before I take my aggression out on the hardware would be much appreciated.

2. ryanjoachim

ryanjoachim

Try "Flashing" your BIOS...

Look for the little battery you will find in a corner of your motherboard...(it's round and silver most of the time)

Pop it out and wait anywhere from 15 minutes to 24 hours...your choice.

Also, go ahead and disconnect trhe power from the motherboard itself.

After your dersired time has expired, replace the battery and the power to the motherboard and restart your computer.

The BIOS should be reset to the factory defaults. Reboot your computer and try everything again.

Let us know how it goes!

Ryan

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The advice above is "resetting" the BIOS, "flashing" it is an entirely different (and unadvised) operation.

Some desktop hardware simply does not like hibernation or standby. The feature is designed for laptops primarily, and I have seen major desktop makers actually advise against it.

I have run 15 different PC's since 1981, and have never found a desktop PC that would operate reliably after resuming from standby or hibernation. Often its related to the software loaded as well. Some simply will not do it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice