Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HP Pavilion Notebook - Battery 0% - plugged in not charging

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  lynx1021 
#1 ·
I have a problem with my HP Pavilion notebook, the notebook is not used frequently and it's just out of warranty. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 and I am not sure if that has caused the problem, may be just a coincidence?
The problem is that the battery is on 0% charge and displaying, "0% available plugged in not charging."

Because the battery is on 0%, could this be the problem? I read somewhere that if the battery goes completely flat it will not take a charge from the notebook charging system, is this correct? Or any other ideas would be appreciated to get it working again.

#2 ·
Yes, if the battery goes to 0%, sometimes it will not charge.

On the other hand, the battery reporting could be off. If you unplug from the wall does the laptop shut off immediately or does it run for a few minutes?

It might also be useful to remove the battery, check to see that the contacts appear clean, put it back in and see if the laptop starts charging it.

#4 ·
The battery is dead. The symptom, the laptop turns off immediately after it is unplugged from the wall verifies this.

My husband's netbook lasts about 2 minutes on battery alone before it shuts off. I know it needs a new battery. He now uses it plugged in all the time.

You could keep the laptop plugged in for 24 hours and not turn it on. Then after a day of allowing to see if it charges, turn on the laptop, still plugged into the wall, and see if the 0% is higher than 0%. Some devices do trickle charge if left alone long enough and the battery can then be charged. I suspect it depends on how long the device has remained unplugged. If a very long time then it probably can not be brought back to life.

#5 ·
I had a friend that had that problem and he took the battery out for a couple of days then put it back in and it started charging again. He used his laptop plugged in most of the time and may have built up some kind of resistance to the charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.