1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hp pavilion power supply chip shorting out.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jposoccer, Jun 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jposoccer

Jposoccer Thread Starter

Hello I have a hp pavilion dv6. my laptop power supply from the charger stopped working recently I opened up my laptop to get a look and noticed one of the little black squares on the motherboard/chip (not sure what it’s called) shorted out aka burnt out and sparked whenever I plugged in my laptop charger and looks burnt out. which I’m guessing is the problem of why my laptop charger isn’t charging my laptop. I may have split some soft drink on my keyboard and it sunk through to short out that chip not sure. The number next to the little black chip that sparks is PU4101 not sure what that number is referring to or how to find out what that means and if that is even the problem that is causing my laptop to not charge. Is there any way to fix this chip even if it’s a home fix thats not exactly professional that would get the laptop charging again? or is there shortcut to be able to charge the laptop again as i really need it running? Or would it require to replace the whole motherboard or just the chip alone?. Aka is it even worth fixing? or just replace the laptop now? Thankyou for your advice much appreciated.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    It would need to be removed and replaced. As it's on the motherboard, it's not likely a simple task.

Also, just because you found a fault, doesn't mean that it's the only fault. It could simply be the weakest link. There could be another fault or the charger itself could be faulty thus effecting the chip that you found.

If it's under warranty, have it serviced (in which case, they will likely replace the motherboard or the entire laptop). Otherwise, it's most likely more cost effective to simply replace.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice