1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion System Recovery! Help!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Laura_J, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Laura_J

Laura_J Thread Starter

Hi all,

Im wanting to restore my PC to factory standard. Ive backed up all the files i need to keep, removed all periferals. Im wanting to start from scratch again, hense the restore to factory standard!

Got the book out that came with my PC it says to press F11 key until system recovery starts then advanced options etc but it wont work!!! It just starts up as normal!!

Another option is to go thru the vista start menu, into All programs then PC help & tools then recovery manager BUT i cant see PC help and tools in the 'all programs' area!

I have done a system recovery ages ago and can vaguely remember having the same problem but cant recall how i fixed it!!

My system has a recovery partition rather than disks!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model number of that HP Pavilion?

If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number and/or service tag number on the sticker is.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Although HP Pavilions come with a built-in system recovery partition, it's always a good idea to create a recovery CD kit right after you buy it and set it up, or order a recovery CD kit from HP/Compaq or from here.

If and when you need to use the built-in system recovery partition and its found to be corrupted or doesn't work right, you'll have the recovery CD kit to fall back on.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Could be the F10 key for HP to run a Full OR a NON-Destructive Recovery when the computer starts up.....Yes, yours could be the F11, but would not hurt to try!

They show you about 3 different ways of Recovering, either with or without disks, here:

http://www.pctechbytes.com/hp/hp-recovery

That page contains a summary of the same HP directions that we can point you to for your exact model if you would kindly
    post the model ID info found on a label on back of a tower type or underneath a notebook type.....

And there are inexpensive Recovery disk sets available from an online store even if HP does not provide them anymore.

HP sets are about half as much and the more expensive set is only $27

4. Laura_J

Laura_J Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply!! Is this the number you mean?

13gp084am220-1h2?

5. Byteman

Hi, Nope, try this way

http://www.hp.com/#Support

Click to go to that link, it's HP support......then, put a dot into the circle next to "Download Drivers and Software"

Next, you over on the right a bit, Start Detection button, click that and follow the prompts, it will show yuo the model number we are asking for. You will get one or two prompts, just OK them, they are safe and just an Active X control for the browser to use to find your model of HP. Post that number in a reply.

6. Laura_J

Laura_J Thread Starter

Sorry for another late reply - i've got a virus :-(

The auto detection didnt work so i have pulled out my tower completely rather than just looking on the back of it. I found somemore numbers!! One sticker is for Vista so im guessing that isnt what you require? Another says:

HP Pavilion a6421.uk
    Prod# KP304AA
    SN:3cr8101JNX

Hope this is what you require!

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion a6421.uk desktop. You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so it's readily available whenever you need to refer to it.

According to its product information, it was manufactured in February 2008 and came with the original version of Windows Vista Home Premium(32-bit) installed.

The recovery CD/DVD kit doesn't appear to be available from HP/Compaq or the HP/Compaq recovery center. :(

Here is the section on doing a system recovery with Windows Vista.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

8. Laura_J

Laura_J Thread Starter

Thanks for that, unfortunately it's the same as the info I have in the book supplied with the PC. The F11 key does nothing.

Will it make a difference that I upgraded Vista with disks bought at the same time as the PC?

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Did you upgrade to a different version of Windows Vista?

Did you do a straight upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium already in your computer or did you format the hard drive and do a clean install?

What are the drive letters and names in the COMPUTER window?

10. Laura_J

Laura_J Thread Starter

Not quite sure about the upgrade - got the CDs in a box, installed them on the day of purchase (Sorry for being so PC illiterate!). It is the Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade (Barcode 8 82224 66150 8)

My drives are HP (C) Factory_image (D) and DVD RW (E)

Daft question but is there any way i can test my F11 key to make sure it actually works? When i press it on start up it does nothing!

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The C and D drives are labeled "HP" and Factory_image", so I'm going to assume at this point that the D recovery partition is intact.

Just to make sure:

Right-click the C and D drives, then click Properties.

What's listed for capacity, used space, and free space for each one?

----------------------------------------------------------------

12. Laura_J

Laura_J Thread Starter

C: Used 56.5GB Free 268GB Cap 325.GB
    D: Used 9.91GB Free 435MB Cap 10.3GB

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The 9.91 GB system recovery partition appears to be intact.

Have you gone here and followed the "Starting a recovery from the hard drive and the computer is off" instructions?

According to the instructions, as soon as you press the power button, you need to press the F11 key repeatedly without interruption until the Recovery Manager window appears.

-------------------------------------------------------------

14. Byteman

Please try pressing CTRL+ ALT or, TAB+ F11 keys at startup, if F11 does not work.

I've seen some where you must have the key held down, before pushing the power button to turn computer on.

You may hear beeping, it's OK just means the computer thinks a key is stuck....

Good luck.

15. Laura_J

Laura_J Thread Starter

Yeah, it's more or less what the book I got with the PC says - the page you give the link to just has more pictures!

I've been pressing F11 as soon as I turn PC on once every second until windows asks me for my password. I've also tried other keys (F10 etc) on start up and they do what they are supposed to. I've also made sure the F11 key actually works too - knowing my luck it would be the key that's broken!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!