1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion will not boot up, no access to CD Drive, Using diskette failed to boot.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by espressoguy, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. espressoguy

espressoguy Thread Starter

HP Pavilion 6355 has the following issues:

1) Computer will not shut down by holding in power button. It must be "unplugged from outlet."

2) When power cord plugged in the light sequence on the tower reads, from left to right, yellow, green.

3) A Thumping sound comes from speakers, not the typical Bios Beeps.

4) Monitor is blank, yellow light indicator on.

5) Cannot open CD Drive, even manually.

This computer belongs to a friend of mine whose daughter uses it for High School work. She was working on it one day, received an error message, no, no, writing it down would be to easy ;) , so she shut down using start-shutdown, and left for school. When she came back and resumed her work she was met with the above scenario.

Any ideas as to the most expeditious way to get to root of issue.

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

Since this computer was built in 1998, there could be any # of things wrong. Going by the "thumping " noise, I'd guess the HD is gone.

3. opopanax

opopanax

the noise is coming from the speakers, right? and the hard drive is spinning without any noises, so, i dont think the hard drive is faulty. the yellow light on the monitor is on, so it means there's no signal from the motherboard. the computer will not shutdown even when using the power button - indicative of motherboard disfunction. here's a link i found: http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER50-c.html

u can check whether the hard drive is faulty, by taking it out of the case and connecting it on another pc. if u r able to access every drive on it, and r ablke to run scandisk without any problems, then the drive is not faulty.

4. espressoguy

Excellent, I have been suspecting MOBO. Any way to test?

5. espressoguy

Excellent, I have been suspecting MOBO. Any way to test? oops, :eek: follow link (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/307738

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice