1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion won't boot - no video

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rfcjr, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rfcjr

rfcjr Thread Starter

Hello:

I am hoping to get an HP Pavilion 540N computer working for a friend. I have no software, recovery disks etc. and the computer won't boot. I see that the harddrive light flickers initially; but, that is it. There is no attempt to access the cd drive or floppy drive. The monitor displays nothing at all. The monitor is good since I hooked it to another computer and it worked fine. The computer had Windows XP loaded. Any suggestions as to where to start? Thank you in advance.

2. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

1. disconnect the power cable, press the power button (to discharge any capacitors). try again.

2. open the case, check all connections, re-seat any add-on cards and memory modules.

3. rfcjr

rfcjr Thread Starter

Hello:

I did as you suggested with no real results. When I turn the computer on the lights on the dvd and cd drives flicker as well as the keyboard. I try to go into bios but am unable to do so. For a brief time I did have a blinking cursor on the upper left corner of a blue screen. Then I attempted to boot again and everything resorted to the original problem - blank black screen etc. Any further suggestions? Thank you.

4. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

onboard video or add-on card?

5. rfcjr

rfcjr Thread Starter

I reseated the memory module and internal connectors and the system seems to be working fine. Thanks.

6. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

you're welcome.

please mark the thread as solved (thread tools)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/615224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice