1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Hp Pavilion won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bubbanorth, Nov 7, 2019 at 8:06 PM.

Advertisement
  1. bubbanorth

bubbanorth Thread Starter

Hi Folks,
    I'm not super techy, but I have read a ton of webpages on how to (possibly) fix my desktop computer.

It no longers boots up, no beeps, no blinking LEDs, no sign of life!

Here's the details,
    HP Pavilion p6218f from 2009 ( win 7 )
    prod #: AU993AA-ABL

Recently, the computer was having trouble after using sleep mode. It would sleep, then turn off completely, but the power switch would not turn the computer on, I would have to unplug, re-plug to start it up again.

Three days ago, the above happened, but unplug-replug would not help. Now the computer will not turn on. No beeps, no fans, no lights.

When plugged in, there is a green light on the power supply ( kind of flickers when first plugged in ) and there is a green led lit up on the motherboard.
    All peripherals are disconnected, including mouse, keyboard and monitor.

Here is what I have tried:
    1. Replaced CMOS battery.
    2. Looked into CMOS reset - unplugged, removed cmos battery, held down power button for 15 seconds.
    3. Exchanged power cord for another one.
    4. Shorted green wire and black wire on 24 pin connector, plugged in - power supply fan runs,
    5. Checked 24 pin connector ( with green and black shorted ), got 3.3, 5, and 12 volts.
    6. Checked yellow wire, and red wire on a 4 pin connector. got 12v and 5 v

Does all this seem like the like power supply is okay?? Should I look up which pins should have which voltages?

7. Pushed down on all connectors, ram and cards inside the computer to make sure they are seated firmly.

Things I'm not sure of:
    - not sure if I am missing something with the power supply
    - not sure how to test to see if the the power switch is functioning, seems to be connected to 6 multicolored wires and plugged into the motherboard.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The first thing I do when a computer appears dead is remove the power from the hd and attach it a spare power supply I have. (I currently have a Windows 2K desktop I tested this way. I need to order a power supply for it because my spare power unit is too weak for everything in the case).
    If the computer makes sounds of life, I replace the power supply.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The first thing I do when a computer appears dead is remove the power from the hd and attach it a spare power supply I have. (I currently have a Windows 2K desktop I tested this way. I need to order a power supply for it because my spare power unit is too weak for everything in the case).
    If the computer makes sounds of life, I replace the power supply.

SarahSims likes this.
  4. bubbanorth

Thanks for the suggestion, I have now unplugged the hdd, and the DVD, plugged the computer in, pressed the power button, but still no noises etc.

Is it too soon to assume the motherboard is bad? What else can I check.
    Thanks all.

5. replay

replay

You need to try a new power supply...... chances are it will boot right up!!

SarahSims likes this.
  6. bubbanorth

Thank you for your reply.
    I disconnected the HDDs, the DVD, and the card reader, then shorted the power switch, still there were no beeps, no fan noise, nothing. I think the power supply was only powering the motherboard, ram and video card. It is a 300w unit that gives the proper voltages....? I don't have a spare one, and now that I think the power button in good, it must be the motherboard??
    Is this thinking right?
    Thanks for reading.

7. replay

replay

Go to nearest store (bestbuy)
    With a good RETURN policy
    No need to install the new psu in the case
    Just connect the necessary plugs ( two power plugs to mobo one to hard drive)
    See what happens

SarahSims likes this.
  8. bubbanorth

Replay, you were right! Had the power supply analyzed at a small shop - it was not 100%. The tech plugged the motherboard into another PSU and fans started spinning. Bought a new PSU and should be in business soon.

Thank you for your advice.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice