1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kc7jnu, Aug 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kc7jnu

kc7jnu Thread Starter

My HP Pavilion has the intel 810 chipset. It won't give me more than 24 bit color.

I have reinstalled drivers and down loaded new drivers till I am blue in the face - to no avail.

Any hints what to do next would be appreciated.

2. Sponsor

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi kc7jnu,

Did you have more colors in the past?

4. kc7jnu

kc7jnu Thread Starter

No this is a new to me - bought it as reconditioned.

5. swwelsh

swwelsh

Not all video adapters have the option of 32bit color. Is there some program you have that needs 32bit? There is no real advantage to 32bit over 24bit as far as I know.

6. kc7jnu

kc7jnu Thread Starter

Some graphics look very grainy. Other than that I guess I just want what I paid for. I did some investigation and was told that the 810 chip is supposed to be capable of the 32 bit color.

7. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi kc7jnu,
    I also have an 810 chipset in my HP6553. It never did have 32 bit color. The graphics look fine on this end. I also run with 16 bit color. Maybe you can tweak your display settings to lose the grainy look. Just a suggestion! Hope this helps!

8. kc7jnu

kc7jnu Thread Starter

I sure appreciate all the replies. I will try to tweak. Maybe I will just learn to live with it.

Thank you all.

9. swwelsh

swwelsh

there is no difference in the number of colors available in a 24bit vs. a 32bit image. They both use 16.7 million colors, the difference is in the way the video memory stores the info, 32bit uses 4 bytes per pixel while 24bit uses 3. Other than a slight difference in how fast the data is displayed, there should be no difference in the way the graphic looks

10. kc7jnu

kc7jnu Thread Starter

Hey, Thanks. I learned something. Much easier to accept when you understand what you are talking about.

Thank you.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/51186