1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavilion511n. Here is what I need to do...But

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by scanner, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

My current hdd on this Rig is a 40gb drive formatted to NTFS and is making noises it will soon go south.
    Here is what I want to do.
    Install a WD 80GBhdd , format it to fat 32, then install EXP pro and forget about all the Hp junk.
    and from here on I know that I'm looking for "troubles of sort"
    what I mean is that I'll need to install the video, sound. and modem drivers,
    which I don't have, the HP tech guy is saying that the drivers posted on HP site are good for PX Home only,
    this are the specs for the current board according to Everest info.

Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard ID 71481.STD.0000.D.0201221057
    Motherboard Name TriGem Lomita

Front Side Bus Properties
    Bus Type Intel GTL+
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 100 MHz
    Effective Clock 100 MHz
    Bandwidth 800 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
    Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
    Bus Width 8-bit

Motherboard Manufacturer
    Company Name TriGem Computer Inc.
    and
    Trigen don't seem to have a download for anything
    of course before I do anything I must have these drivers, can you guys suggest a course of action to do this.

2. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

XP Pro has a lot of drivers already. I just loaded XP Professional straight onto my old OEM machine, with its new 80Gb drive, and it started up first time, no problem.

I would partition and format to NTFS though, especially for XP Professional.

Just remembered. I did have to get a new Thomson Ethernet modem. :)

3. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

I don't think NTFS goes well with Norton Ghost 2003,
    lately I was unable to install a ghosted image from a fat 32 10gb drive(F:\)
    to a NTFS the Pavilion c:\ partition,
    it see the drive F:\ as drive C:\ I think 'cause of the NTFS Pavilion file setup,
    so I can't use the Ghosted image, maybe I'm wrong on this one,
    but this is what's happening.
    I know that win XP pro have most of the basic drivers,
    but it doesn't have any Graphic accelerator.
    That must be installed for getting a good picture and\or viewing DVDs,
    also the sound drivers are poor at best and if you are lucky the modem my or may not work!

4. Gladd8tor

Gladd8tor

Hi ... I am about to help out a friend with similar situation but he has the xp home edtion full install version , I'm curious if he uses this disc , doesn't he have to install the drivers for it , chipset , modem , video and audio ?? Thanks

5. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Is the NTFS C: drive partition the same size or bigger than the 10Gb FAT32 drive?

If you are able to re-format the NTFS partition to FAT32, as long as it the same size, or anywhere between slightly bigger and bigger still, then the image should restore.

You could then covert to NTFS and re-image the drive.

But if it is a totally different machine there would be little point in attempting to do so.

I have never tried Norton Ghost so there is probably someone who has who might have a better idea.

The included drivers will usually allow you to install XP. I have no problem with the picture, watching DVDs or sound.

6. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

It might depend on the age of his computer. Mine is four years old. The included drivers will usually allow you to install XP. I have no problem with the picture, watching DVDs, or sound.

The drivers for everything else installed during the setup with no further intervention from me.

7. Gladd8tor

Gladd8tor

Hi ... His is only a year old , I know he can load his full license copy xp home edition disk ( I'm not talking about the preinstall garbage but rather a xp home disk which he purchased) without having problems with Windows loading , but I don't understand is how you didn't needed to install the audio , video , and the chipset drivers ... You must of not deleted the partition from the original preinstall version , is this correct ?? Or did you delete the partition and recreate a new partition and reformated with your xp pro disk ?? Because if you had of , it would of wipe everything off your computer when you formated , Or am I wrong to assume this ?? Thanks

8. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

RAM-PAGE in Ghosting images one Ghost a image from partition to image (where the image will be copied to ether a disk drive,
    or logical partition) and size in this case doesn't matter except when the files copied are bigger than the recipient partition or drive,
    but if one Ghost drive to image the recipient drive\partition must be as big or bigger than the imaged drive 'cause in this case one Ghost everything. :)

9. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

I think you are wrong. With Packard Bell's restore system there are two hidden sectors on some machines. One contains all of the data from which to make up the three recovery Master CDs of about 4·0Gb. (This is recoverable after you make up the Master CDs, btw.) The other is a small partition which is put in when tattoing the drive. This holds information on all the hardware, so that the recovery can be performad unattended.

I fitted a new 80Gb untattooed drive to the old machine, so it was totally blank. Got the BIOS to recognise it first of all, and then booted to the XPSP2 PRO CD and set about installing. Added the anti-virus, just use the XP firewall and no other firewall, add the Thomson Ethernet Modem and modem software, which I bought from my ISP, go on-line, update the AV, run a scan, add Microsoft's AntiSpyware program, update everything, move the My Documents folder and Email folder to a data partition, and image the C: drive, when all is working as it should be. (I do copy backups for data.)

(Dare I say? I FULL format to NTFS, use 'a well known product' to check the MFTs and defrag them, and the paging file, with the very same 'well known product' ;) and use CCLeaner to clean up, before imaging and also making an ASR backup. But it all works is the main thing.)

Better than ever before, :) (y) especially better than when using ME on a 60Gb drive, which was really unstable. Problems opening and renaming folders and mucho BSODs. Ugh! (n)

Never had a BSOD with XP! (y)

There are enough drivers on the XP CD to perform the install so I didn't have to add anything, except for the modem. I got an udated driver for the Ethernet card from Windows Update as an optional install is all I recollect, on top of that.

If ... the hardware is compatible, intalling XP is really easy.

10. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

That is how I understand it too. I image my 10240Mb drive, but if I want to restore to a 10239Mb drive, it won't go.

So if you need to image a 10240Mb drive to put onto a 8192Mb drive you need to use something like Partition Magic to shrink the bigger drive down in size first of all and then image it.

Never tried using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. Has anyone done so?

11. Gladd8tor

Gladd8tor

RAM-PAGE did you when you added your new hard drive keep the original drive as well ?? Do you have both HHD install ?? if so , which one is set as the " Master " ? And your new hard drive , Is this where you installed windows xp pro ??

12. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

No, the old drive is scrap.

What I should have done was to buy a new 20Gb to use as Master and used the new 80Gb drive as Slave.

As it is I have Windows XP installed to the one new 80Gb drive on its own.

13. Gladd8tor

Gladd8tor

Okay well thanks RAM-PAGE for your info ... (y)

14. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

My pleasure. :)

I just posted this in the Tips & Tweaks section. If it is of any use to you.

Summary on General Performance Issues

How much RAM does the system have? 512Mb is good and more might be better, depending on what you are using the computer for.

How big is the drive, is it partitioned, how big are the partitions, have they been FULL formatted, (rather than quick formatting, which is pretty much useless), are they employing the FAT32 or the NTFS file system? If on NTFS did the format achieve 4096 bytes in each allocation unit? (If only 512 bytes in each allocation unit it is better to re-format to 4096)

Has the drive been properly defragmented, have the Master File Tables(s) and Paging file(s) been properly defragmented? Are the MFT(s) big enough? They can sometimes be too small and severely affect performance. What is the drive speed, (5,400/7,200/10,000 rev/min) and how big is the drive-cache, 2Mb, 8Mb, or bigger? Defrag will run four times faster if the drive-cache is four times bigger.

If partitioned is there enough free-space? You need a minimum of 15% free-space, per partition, to run properly and to be able to run defrag.

All of these considerations affect performance. A badly prepared drive will not run well, and may have all manner of problems starting up. See links below. It is also a good idea to have the paging file cleared on shutdown so that you get a clean one on start up. (There is a program, called Eraser 5·7, which erases the paging file on shutdown.)(Takes a bit longer, but is worthwhile.)

What was the problem beforehand?

Do the RAM modules need to be re-seated, are all other cards properly in place, is the power supply big enough, are all fans running properly, what are the CPU temperatures like, what is the ambient temperature (and humidity)? (Very important this one, as the ambient (surrounding) temperature affects the running temperature, and the computer needs to be kept in a cool place free from air-borne moisture and dust.)

(Many computers are kept in carefully controlled ambient surroundings in industry.)

Read this PDF file before handling electronics. Avoid electric shock and component damage due to static electricity.

INSTALL.PDF

15. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

Although my post has been "hijacked" this is what's happening so far.
    I had a little time few days age so I decided to do this:
    first I unhooked the HP 40GB drive, and put it in a safe place
    then I hooded up a older but good WD-60GB drive set it up as master,
    then and using w98 boot disk I formatted it to fat 32, then just booted up with WXP pro and it installed flawlessly,
    and guess what, WXP Pro in fact has everything that is needed to run the Rig,
    Video, sound, and modem.
    This I didn't need to do,
    but since this rig came with a HP keyboard,
    I went ahead and installed the HP drivers for full HP keyboard functionality,
    I also didn't need to,
    I installed the video upgrade from HP for the onboard Graphic accelerator,
    and now this thing is running perfectly!
    "Uhhm well almost".
    Here is something I don't understand\like PQ Partition Magic 8.0,
    show the drive cast in a yellow frame,
    and it doesn't show the amount of disk space used, nothing just marked as BAD in the center of it and that's it,
    but everything on this rig is working just fine, what does this mean...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!