HP pavillion 15 notebook upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wilson1973

My son has and HP pavillion laptop about 4 years old here is the spec

Can anyone tell me how I find the exact model as there are laptops on the net that are new called HP pavillion 15 notebook but my son's is at leat 4 years old ,we would like to know if an ssd could be fitted and more ram,also is this a hard job to do?I don't suppose anyone could advise me what to buy until we have the exact model number

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The serial number is either on the base of the notebook or perhaps underneath the battery
OR try
Using the notebook keyboard, press the fn and esc keys to open the HP System Information window

Once you have the serial number insert that number here
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/products/
or of course on the appropriate site for your location
and then you can find the ram max capacity compared with the 4GB you have now
and the answer to the SSD question
If you need more help then post the aspects you require more assistance with

Alternatively online go here and use Crucial scanner
http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/system...-null&ef_id=W7uYPAAAAdAF9X1q:20181009210816:s

You do not of course have to purchase from Crucial

1. Use HWInfo to find out lots of stuff. That's an excellent freeware
2. You can always use an SSD instead of the HDD, but - I can't find anything about an mSata slot (which fits well this kind of models). If you want to make sure, open it and find an mSata slot (check google for pics)
3. You can use DDR3 or DDR3L RAM. You have two slots, one of them with 4GB RAM. As said above - no need for crucial or any other brand especially.
4. A good SSD today, picked carefully, will cost you around $70-$100 for 500GB (Like the MX500 or Samsung EVO 860)

wilson1973

The serial number is either on the base of the notebook or perhaps underneath the battery
OR try
Using the notebook keyboard, press the fn and esc keys to open the HP System Information window

Once you have the serial number insert that number here
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/products/
or of course on the appropriate site for your location
and then you can find the ram max capacity compared with the 4GB you have now
and the answer to the SSD question
If you need more help then post the aspects you require more assistance with

Alternatively online go here and use Crucial scanner
http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/system...-null&ef_id=W7uYPAAAAdAF9X1q:20181009210816:s

You do not of course have to purchase from Crucial
Hi Thanks for your help,I will check those places when my son brings his laptop to my house tomorrow night

wilson1973

1. Use HWInfo to find out lots of stuff. That's an excellent freeware
2. You can always use an SSD instead of the HDD, but - I can't find anything about an mSata slot (which fits well this kind of models). If you want to make sure, open it and find an mSata slot (check google for pics)
3. You can use DDR3 or DDR3L RAM. You have two slots, one of them with 4GB RAM. As said above - no need for crucial or any other brand especially.
4. A good SSD today, picked carefully, will cost you around $70-$100 for 500GB (Like the MX500 or Samsung EVO 860)
Hi thanks for that I shall have to see what size HDD he has at the moment and see what he needs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online