1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP pavillion 15 notebook upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wilson1973, Oct 9, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. wilson1973

wilson1973 Thread Starter

My son has and HP pavillion laptop about 4 years old here is the spec [​IMG]
    Can anyone tell me how I find the exact model as there are laptops on the net that are new called HP pavillion 15 notebook but my son's is at leat 4 years old ,we would like to know if an ssd could be fitted and more ram,also is this a hard job to do?I don't suppose anyone could advise me what to buy until we have the exact model number

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

The serial number is either on the base of the notebook or perhaps underneath the battery
    OR try
    Using the notebook keyboard, press the fn and esc keys to open the HP System Information window

Once you have the serial number insert that number here
    https://support.hp.com/gb-en/products/
    or of course on the appropriate site for your location
    and then you can find the ram max capacity compared with the 4GB you have now
    and the answer to the SSD question
    If you need more help then post the aspects you require more assistance with

Alternatively online go here and use Crucial scanner
    http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/system...-null&ef_id=W7uYPAAAAdAF9X1q:20181009210816:s

You do not of course have to purchase from Crucial

3. gljio

gljio

1. Use HWInfo to find out lots of stuff. That's an excellent freeware
    2. You can always use an SSD instead of the HDD, but - I can't find anything about an mSata slot (which fits well this kind of models). If you want to make sure, open it and find an mSata slot (check google for pics)
    3. You can use DDR3 or DDR3L RAM. You have two slots, one of them with 4GB RAM. As said above - no need for crucial or any other brand especially.
    4. A good SSD today, picked carefully, will cost you around $70-$100 for 500GB (Like the MX500 or Samsung EVO 860)

4. wilson1973

Hi Thanks for your help,I will check those places when my son brings his laptop to my house tomorrow night

5. wilson1973

Hi thanks for that I shall have to see what size HDD he has at the moment and see what he needs.

6. marbski

marbski

Yes,, you can use SSD for your son laptop HP pavillion.

7. wilson1973

Thanks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice