HP Pavillion 2320-dx issues

FusionTecg

Hey, ive got a problem laptop HP Pavillion G7-2320dx on my hands.

AMD A8 APU, 4 GB DDR3, and whatever Radeon integrated is inside it, I can provide details if you need them. (FYI, battery still works for periods of about 45 minutes to an hour and a half depending on what its doing.)

So, this was given to me, and I have had three different Linux systems and SMART on bootup say the hard drive was failing, not really a problem. I have a 300 GB HDD on hand that I can use to test it, and ultimately I may put an SSD inside it if it works.

So, heres my problem. Windows 10, when I first got it, was corrupted and crashed trying to Automatic repair. No big issue, right? I tried both a USB and DVD-R, which both gave me a BSOD before they even finished loading the 10 files.

Next step: I then tried a few different Linux distros to see if they work. [Puppy Linux 8.0 32/64-bit, worked fine unsuprisingly] [Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, crashed with a general error twice] [Linux Mint Xfce, lastest, seemed to work no problem] [DSL, Damn small Linux, I suspect this was too old to boot on this system as it couldnt find the Knoppix filesystem on the liveboot USB] [Ubuntu LTS, latest, seemed to work okay] Do note this was all liveboots. However, they were mostly tested for 20-40 minutes at a time, so no real data here.

So, one version of Ubuntu crashed twice in a live boot with a general error, and Windows 10 will refuse to do anything if I try and load a DVD/USB ISO. (For the USB, I did use the Microsoft tool.) I had tried 10 because supposedly, this laptop was upgraded to it a while before it was given to me, and I was told that by the person that gave it to me.

I then tried 8.1, which installed, but I got greeted with a corrupt file trying to boot it up. (Yes, im aware I was using the known going bad HDD inside the laptop to test it, but I figured it was good enough for a test run. I do have the spare 300 gig I can test with, and I plan on doing so.)

If more information is needed, or more clarification, I will give so, and will post some of the error code photos in another post.

According to screenshots, your description and error codes this looks like power to your hard drive gets interrupted, or the drive is failing.

I would advise to test the drive on another computer to isolate either drive controller, HDD or connection to drive.

FusionTecg

According to screenshots, your description and error codes this looks like power to your hard drive gets interrupted, or the drive is failing.

I would advise to test the drive on another computer to isolate either drive controller, HDD or connection to drive.
I have another drive I can test it on, and which I plan to do so. Do note any Linux screenshots are live boots, and NOT installed on a hard drive. I did list the hard drive inside the laptop is failing actively inside the post, this is not new news as I have seen three live boots and SMART tell me that.

I just figured it would work -enough- for a test install. I plan on trying the known good drive once I can manage to find a screwdriver to open the laptop up..

FusionTecg

Update: I just bought screwdrivers at the store, and replaced the drive in the A8 with the known good one. However, I do need to convert it off of GPT before 8.1 is willing to install, I didnt know the drive was GPT or 8.1 couldnt install on that. So, have to get around that little issue first.

Edit: Turns out I had to boot into UEFI mode. So far so good, past the customization stage.

Last edited:

FusionTecg

Update again: Installed, seems stable. Playing around with a few programs, and doing Windows Updates, but havent used it long enough to see for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online