1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavillion dv6910us Some Keyboard keys are not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by curioustoknow, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. curioustoknow

curioustoknow Thread Starter

2. sonexpc

sonexpc

3. curioustoknow

yes it is working when using external keyboard

4. sonexpc

sonexpc

then it is the on notebook issue you need to order one and replace..

5. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    The keyboard works on a matrix principle. There are rows and columns and it would appear one vertical column is malfunctioning. There is a slight possibility that you can try to reseat the keyboard cable inside the laptop. I'm sure you can Google disassembly instructions for your model. Often the cable is folded up underneath the keyboard. Sometimes there is a pressure lever to release the cable, other times it just plugs into a connector. You could try to unplug it and plug it back in once or twice, then see if the keys work. If not, sonexpc is right and you will need to replace it. At least at this point you will know how to do so.

6. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

You can find replacement keyboards on eBay at reasonable prices. Just stick with a top-rated vendor. These days, that's where I get most of my laptop parts and many printer parts.. HP most likely has a downloadable service manual for your computer. It isn't particularly hard to service a laptop, you just have to be a little careful with the connectors. Other than a set of jeweler's screwdrivers, you don't need special tools.

7. curioustoknow

i replaced the keyboard and still the same problem, any ideas guys?

8. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    A couple, but both involve the main board. It could be the connector itself, either poor electrical connections in the connector or a cold or loose solder joint where it's mounted to the board. Or, it's possible it's the keyboard controller. Not really a user replaceable component ...

9. curioustoknow

I unplugged/plugged the keyboard cable to the motherboard and made sure that is connected properly. and still the 3 keys are not working, seems like its diagonal keys (i,k and , ) I also checked the num key and confirmed that's set properly.

you think i should dissemble the motherboard and try again

10. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Unless you know about soldering surface mount connectors, I'm not sure there's a lot you can do. And it still might be the keyboard controller (probably integrated into a chip with several other functions).

11. curioustoknow

keyboard controller? where is that located at?attached to the system board? like I said, I have replaced the keyboard with a new one and still no luck

12. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    The keyboard controller is the part of the motherboard that interfaces with the keyboard, processes the signals. It is likely built into an integrated circuit (IC) along with other I/O functions. It's not a user-replaceable component.
    It's looking like you need a main board, but that is a major undertaking. You can probably find used or refurbished boards for about $100, give or take.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice